They sensed a presence, and looked up as Damon appeared in the doorway. Maddy frowned, shuffling so that she wasn't facing him.

"What are you doing here, Damon?" asked Stefan sharply. "If you're not gonna be nice to her, then you need to leave."

"I just want to know how this happened," he said. "When did the compulsion start?"

Maddy obviously couldn't answer.

"It must have been that day you went to see if Elijah's body was still at the house," he muttered. "Please don't tell me you hooked up with him."

Maddy quickly shook her head. That part wasn't true at all.

"Oh, thank god," said Damon, rubbing his forehead. "Wait, but that makes no sense. Earlier he was telling me how important it is to keep you and Elena safe. You sure you didn't bone this guy? He seems whipped."

Maddy's hand shook as she started trying to write on the paper, thinking that maybe she could tell them about her theory that maybe she and Elijah had met before. She didn't imagine he could have actually gone into her mind when she was trying to choke him with her thighs.

All that came out were scribbles. Awful, ugly scribbles. Nothing useful.

"You tried, Mads, it's okay," said Stefan soothingly when she tugged her shirt up and started to cry. "Damon, I think you should go."

"I still want to know more!"

"Look at her, Damon," Stefan snapped, getting to his feet. "You keep making her feel guilty for something that isn't even her fault! First she feels bad because she thinks she didn't do enough to keep us out of that mess with Katherine, and now, you're making her believe that she betrayed us willingly! She didn't! We're dealing with a man who's maybe ten times our age. Someone who literally came back to life after you staked him. She didn't have a damn choice! Let's just be thankful that there was nothing major she could have told him. It's gonna be fine. Elena's safe, Damon, that's what our goal is. Just leave her the hell alone."

Damon had to force himself to take a step back. "Fine. Mads, I'm sorry."

She didn't believe him. She refused to look up at him. Stefan sat back down with her, rubbing her back.

"Maybe we should have Bonnie come and see her first thing tomorrow," said Stefan. "She might be able to do something."

"Alright," mumbled Damon. "You tell her, though. She doesn't like me."

"You're gonna have to let her in tomorrow. I'm gonna be at the lake house."

"Fine. If she can at least help Mads be able to talk..."

Maddy slept that night, but barely. She'd had a singular dream, one which brought her enough comfort to sustain her the following day.

"Hey there Mads!" said Lexi, who had apparently come to see her while she was in the apartment she'd been living in before going to Mystic Falls. "Ready to go?"

"I am," said Maddy, grabbing her bag. "You said we're going to a concert?"

"Yep! You're gonna like it. It's this artist that no one really knows about, but I think he's good. He's cute, too, I think you'll want a private meet-and-greet after the concert."

"Ooh," said Maddy, nudging her with her hip. "I take it that's why Stefan isn't coming?"

"Exactly. It's girl time right now. Just you and me, sister. Let's go."

She woke up in tears. God, she missed Lexi. She would have given anything for Lexi to be here right now. She would have figured it out sooner, before Damon had a chance to get mad at her. Lexi would have knocked some sense into Damon, kept him from being so rude to his sister after the initial realization.