Chapter 4 ➼︎ Meg's Wedding Day!

Start from the beginning

I get why she was upset. It was not about the wedding. More about Beth not being here with us.

"How far is Beth's grave? I never have met her properly. The wedding doesn't start for another hour" I offer. "I can walk with you to it" 

"You would like to meet Beth?" she asks.

I nod. "I never got to meet her. She always sent me lovely letters back. I hoped to meet all of you. I was deeply saddened when I heard she passed" I tell Jo.

"Beth is not far away" says Jo. "we do have time to spare to go see her. Come on" says Jo.

We begin to take a little jog. And we go to a little grave over beside the church there in town. Jo leads me to Beth.

I see Beth's photo on the grave in a little bubble. Her name on it. It read "Beloved daughter, sister, friend to all whom knew her" then there was a poem written by me under it.

•✿︎︎•

"Marmee loved your poems. She found it in Beth's trunk. Beth had saved all your letters" brags Jo as she touches the grave. "Beth the wedding is today. I know you will be there with us all. I wish you could play the wedding march for Meg" sighs Jo. "Here is Fiona. She came to see you at last"

"Hello, dear Beth. Sorry I am so late" I softly add. "Pleasure to meet you. Not in the way I hoped to" I say as I touch her grave to. "Beautiful stone. I am glad aunt Margret loved the poem" I say.

"It described Beth perfectly" says Jo. "We better head back to the wedding or we shall be late" she worries. I nod then we walk back to the house. We go inside.

"Where have the two of you been?" Amy wonders.

"We went to see Beth. I miss her. I think of her often today" Jo softly says.

Amy looks somber and nods. "I miss her to" then she hugs Jo.

"Where have you been?" Meg demands to know.

"To see Beth. I wanted to meet her" I speak up. That was partly true.

"I miss her so much" sighs Meg. "I wish she was here with me today"

"She is. Oh she is" promises Jo as she hugs Meg.

They are all hugging. Then they get me in a hug. And soon it was time for the wedding. Uncle was marrying them off. Jo had Laurie be escorting me down the aisle to the seats.

He looked so handsome all dressed up. Everyone looked wonderful. I hoped my dress was not as fancy as Meg's dress. John only had eyes for Meg as she came to be at his side. After they wed we all joined hands and sang songs to them. To bless them.

Jo was pouting. Meg was laughing. Laurie was trying to make Jo laugh by making faces at her. I laughed at him and her both.

Even aunt March watched on singing and clapping her hands with delight. Then we have a feast. I notice that Laurie had walked off somewhere with Jo.

•✿︎︎•

"Where did Laurie go?" asks Amy.

"He went on a walk with Jo" I tell her.

"Do you think there is something going on with the two of them?" she speculated.

"Jo claims there is nothing there" I say.

"But she is very close to him. Laurie is the only boy that ever got close to her" Amy warns me. "They are best friends"

Best friends. Why did those words bother me? Was it because I wanted to be closer to Laurie? His smile that was so handsome flashes in my mind. I hoped there was nothing more than friendship going on with the two of them.