Chapter 37.

Sara's POV.

The sun had already risen and I was still absorbed in my thoughts. I did not have any ounce of sleep as I watched the sun rays hit the wall that was opposite to me.

I did not know where to begin to collect the pieces of my shattered scattered heart. 'I will have to start it soon but even if I collect them what will I do next in life when all the rays of my life are gone along with Shanaya ' I thought to myself.

I couldn't even go to Charlotte as she was in Australia with her family. I spent half my morning just sitting at the back of the gas station until the owner chased me away. I did not know where to go so I decided to walk towards the city.

By the end of the week, I will go to Damien and sign the divorce document then hand it in myself to the police in the attempt of breaking out of jail and stealing the ring. I did not steal the ring but I thought it was better to spend some more time in jail since I have no purpose of living.
If it could be possible I could have given my life in the hands of God of death, however, God's words rang in my ear.

I was hungry but I could bear it because it was more bearable than the pain of never seeing Shanaya.

The sun was setting soon so I decided it was better to dwell in a park rather than in dangerous streets. I laid down on the bench, uncomfortably, as she hugged the shawl as if my life depended on it.

Sleep became unfamiliar to me again. I sat up living in my thoughts, furthermore, I did not realize I walked up to the place where I first saw Shanaya. It was still the same dirty and foul-smelling place. I looked around the street to see it was empty. I entered the garbage alley, this was the same smell I was used to seven years ago so I won't be surprised if I don't puke today.

Flashback.

I ran as fast as I could, taking a turn to another street that I never encountered before. I dodged the pedestrian to avoid bumping into them and being caught. I turned back to see them on their hot heels after me.

It was safe to deal with them in an alley where there are no pedestrians so I turned and
ran into the large garbage dumpster. Removing my rusted pocket knife, I was in my stance waiting for them to run in here.
"Don't come near me or I will kill you," I threatened to extend my knife out towards them. "Right now we have an errand to run but we will make sure you pay for defying our boss, it will be sooner," one of the thugs warned before all of them exited the place leaving me alone.

I sighed and rubbed the sweat from my forehead. Today I managed to escape them again, nevertheless, I need to do something before they are back, tomorrow. Their leader wants me to work for them by buying trafficking. I will never do that job because it is risky.

I was still planning on how to escape them tomorrow when a truck entered the alley alerting me to move. I moved sideways as the truck was parked adjacent to the garbage. They started emptying the huge garbage can while the remaining one was on the floor, they were scooping it using the broom and dustpan.

Maybe, I can leave these streets and try becoming a waste collector, at least I would earn something to survive. I was to talk to one of the waste collectors when I saw something wrapped around a small blanket and it was covered with waste.

"Hey stop!" I shouted as both of them looked at me. I ran towards them and removed all the waste until I recognized it was a baby who was fast asleep. "Can't you see there is a baby? You could have harmed it," I shouted at him as I took the baby away from his huge dustpan.

The guy gave me a dirty look as he took in my appearance, dirty, smelly, torn trousers and t-shirt.
"Who are you miss and what is your relationship with the baby?" The guy asked. "I am her mother," I lied but I got a certain satisfaction in my heart. "Our job is to collect waste and this baby was in the trash," the other collector said, incensed by his words I was to shout at them when the baby in my hands started crying.