Chapter three

"Here, and these are ready", Betty said as she took another batch of orange cookies out of the oven, "How many are there with it?"

"Let's see", I scanned the kitchen, "You've packed 30 boxes, not counting the ones we gave to Laura and the other customers, we have 15 more to pack, including the one you just took out. We have one in the oven which is baking, and we have cut another 5." I went to the fridge to check how much dough we have, "There is ready dough for another 12 batches, which means...", it took me a while to calculate,"...we have to make more dough and bake another 87 batches, 27 of which have to be ready for this afternoon to send them, and the rest are so to be advanced for tomorrow."

"Okay!"

"The more we bake today, the better!", I concluded.

"Then we have to start baking on two levels", Betty said.

"Yes, we must to. But still we might have to stay in the bakery until late tonight", I said.

"I can't! Tomorrow is the Christmas party at Emma's school and I have to go home to bake cookies and saltines with Emma. I promised her!", Betty reminded me.

"Oh, right! I'm sorry I completely forgot about it. Well then...", I thought for a while, "Let me take the first shift in the kitchen, then it's you, so when it's time to leave I'll have gathered strength for my next round of baking", I laughed, but it was a little forced laugh.

"Yeah, perfect!", Betty exclaimed, and added, "Ash, what's up?"

"Nothing, just...Pfff", I sighed, "We have more orders this year, don't you think?"

"Yes, isn't it wonderful!?", Betty exclaimed enthusiastically.

"Yes! Yes, of course, but... it's busier. We have so much work to do but so little time...", I replied anxiously.

"That's what we wanted - so much work that we can't catch our breath because...", Betty started

"So much work means we're doing well", we both said at the same time.

"Exactly! Then why aren't you happy, honey?", Betty asked.

"Not that I'm not happy, on the contrary, I'm very happy. But..."

"But what Ash!?"

"I'm just worried if we'll make it, if everything goes well or not..."

"Oh, Ash! Don't worry, I believe we'll do it! I know we can!", Betty replied encouragingly, adding, "And Christmas is approaching - the most wonderful time of the year, what could possibly go..."

"We have a BIG problem!", said the man who had just flown into the bakery.

"... wrong", Betty finished.

We both looked at each other and I read in her eyes my thoughts - "Have I just jinxed us!?"