Chapter 23 Forgiveness

Start from the beginning

The expression in his eyes did not change. It was almost as if I were speaking to a doll.

Mikey...

My mind called to him as my heart began to hurt. I had to look away.

"P-please."

I turned to see my brother running to stand in front of me. He fell to his knees as he bowed his head.

"Please help us find my sister."

"Find your sister?"

I couldn't believe this was the situation I found myself in. My brother bowed down to me as he begged me to find me. I didn't know what to say to him.

"You were able to find where we were. If anyone can find her, it will be you. Please. Lucifer. I beg you. Find my sister. I can't-. I can't lose her. The future-" he stopped as he paused, "I'm afraid what the future will be like without her in it."

"Please find her," I looked to my brother's side to see Chifuyu bowing his upper body to me.

"Heh. Like this bastard will help us," Pah let out. "You're wasting your damn time, dumbass."

"Let them try," Mitsuya said.

They were all desperate to find her. To find me. And I was standing right in front of them. That moment made me realize just how stupid I had been. I took away someone they cared about. Was this the reason why Mikey looked so... dead?

I looked back up to his empty eyes. My teeth clenched. If this was the result of me disappearing on them, then I had made a mistake. Right? And with my brother's words. He said he was afraid of the future without me in it. Did that mean my choice of having Kairi disappear was what caused a bad future? Did I need to continue to tear myself apart by being both like before so that I could save Mikey?

Ayato was right. I was wrong.

I just did not know how to be both Kairi and Lucifer without feeling like I was going to lose myself. But if this was the result... I'd have to bear with it. I would do anything to keep my friends from hurting. I'd take on their pain then. I would make sure Mikey never looked like that again.

I sighed, nodding, "Very well. I will use my sources to find her and bring her back safely to you all." I turned my back on them as I started to go, "I promise. I will find her."

I had to prepare myself for my heart to tear itself up with guilt. But I could bear it all for the sake of the people I loved. For Mikey.

----------

December 2nd, 2005

"Where the hell have you been?!" I winced as my brother yelled at me the next morning.

"Will you tone it down a little. It's so early and I am trying to brush my teeth in peace."

"NO. No, I won't. I was worried! Everyone was worried! Where have you been?"

I turned to him, "Aren't I supposed to be the protective older sibling?"

"Kairi."

I sighed, "Hai. Hai. I just needed some space so I was staying over at Masa's." I hated that I lied to my brother but for now this was my life. I turned back to the mirror to brush out my hair to put the top in a ponytail. "After Mikey and I had a fight, I had a lot to think about. I'm sorry."

Take sighed, "I'm just happy you are safe."

"So," I turned to him after finishing getting ready for school, "You're future Take, right?" His body stiffened. "I'll take that as a yes."