Episode 12: Rise and Fall

In the teaser, we see a new flashback of Kim in her 17s. She comes back at home. Her mother informs her that they received a letter addressed to her. Kim opens it feverishly. She is admitted to the University of Colorado-Boulder, yay!
Her mum doesn't want her to leave Nebraska; also, she doesn't have the financial means to support her. Kim mentions that she can apply to a scholarship and start a part-time job to make ends meet.
However, her mother is not pleased with the news; she thinks that it would be better for Kim to stay in her hometown and get a regular job. She even accuses her daughter of abandoning her after all she did for her. This turns into a heated argument.
Young Kim says that she felt her mum always pulled her down; her mother asks her to pack up and to leave immediately. Kim finds herself out in the street alone carrying a heavy bag.

Back to the Better Call Saul timeline. Lydia informs Gus that Kim accepted the job. Gus is pleased with the news.

Jimmy invites Kim to the restaurant to celebrate her new 'job'. Kim is not as enthusiastic; she is still digesting her decision. Jimmy even compares themselves as the 'Bonnie and Clyde' of the law.
Jimmy decides to show her the new offices that he would like to rent. This is the Breaking Bad office but empty. He tells her about his eccentric decor ideas and his aggressive marketing strategy. Kim tries to reason him a bit. He needs to take a step down and not rush everything. Jimmy kisses her abruptly.

Montage. We see Jimmy and Kim filing papers to create the Ice Station Zebra Associates holding. We see Jimmy slowly growing his business. They buy a legitimate business (it could be a nail salon) to help them launder money. On her side, Kim dedicates her time to her pro bono cases and also participates in some Madrigal meetings about the expansion of the Los Pollos Hermanos branches, during which she seems a bit bored. We also see that Jimmy and Kim moved to a new apartment. Gus resumed the construction of the lab. Everything seems going so fine.
However, insidiously, we see that they progressively drift apart (as per the 'Something Stupid' opening, cf. S4E7). They become caught up with their professional life and become more and more strangers to each other. Also, at one point of the montage, we see a confused Kim seeing on TV a Saul Goodman commercial.

End of the montage. One year has passed. Kim is driving back home. She notices a car following her. This is weird. She tries to lose it.
She calls Jimmy, but he doesn't reply. She managed to get the number of the plate at one stop. Who is it? Gus, the cartel, the police? Her head spins with possibilities.
A few days later, she meets with Francesca who now works with Saul and she is happy to see her. She managed to trace the identity of the car's owner (as she worked at the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division before). The plate seems to belong to a private investigator. Francesca also opens up about her problems at work (her stressful work conditions and dealing with criminals).
A Private Investigator? Hum... So, who could it be? Kim makes a list of people (Gus, Kevin...) and proceeds by elimination until she has an intuition. What if it was Howard? There is only one way to find out: she calls the PI and pretends to be Howard's secretary. The PI takes the bait, she now has her proof.

Kim bumps into Howard in court, he ignores her at first. She confronts him about the PI he hired. His face freezes. He claims that HHM is flooded with letters from plaintiffs of the Sandpiper settlement,inquiring about the progress of the case. Of course, he believes that Jimmy and Kim are behind this.
Kim is surprised, she is not aware of Jimmy's plan.

Kim does know how to feel about this. She sees on the way home a Saul Goodman billboard and decides to stop by. Did Jimmy blindside her again? Honestly, this doesn't really matter to her as it should have. Deep inside, she felt something was not going right. She just doesn't feel the same connection to Jimmy and honestly, she doesn't feel like her old self anymore.
What should she do about this?
Back at home. She packs 2–3 things. Jimmy arrives. She announces that she wants to take a break from their relationship. She can't contain her emotions. Jimmy stutters not knowing what to say. He asks her why.
Kim has difficulty finding her words: he lied to her again. Plus, things have not been good lately; she needs time to reflect. Jimmy mentions that he tried to bring up the subject of Sandpiper settlement recently, but she seemed to be in a different state of mind. He is sure they can work it out together. Kim just implores him to give it a rest.
Kim leaves, just repeating how sorry she is. It is very hard to watch. Jimmy is devastated, he doesn't know what to say. It felt so sudden, so brutal... He sits on the floor, devastated. For a minute or so, he is looking at his reflection in the glass and then a tear rolls down slowly on his cheek... (The scene is reminiscent of the break-up scene in Krammer vs. Krammer.)

Black fade. Three years have passed, and we are in the S5 timeline of Breaking Bad. Jimmy wakes up with his shirt on. Apartment is a bit messy with some empty bottles, suggesting he lives alone there.
TV screen is turned on with news on Gus's death. He gets ready for his day. We can feel the loneliness of his life.

At his office, he meets with Francesca. She wants a word with him. She asks if they should worry about Walt, following how the events unfolded. Saul tries to reassure her the best he can.
He opens his drawer which contains the ricin cigarette (that Huell has stolen from Jesse as part of Walt's plan). For a few moments, he just thinks about the consequences of his actions and how deep he is in troubles (as a reminder, Saul knew that Walt poisoned Brock and he is about to meet Walt for the first time after Gus's death). This is a nightmare.
He takes out a sheet of paper from his wallet: 'November 12th 3 PM.' He looks so sad and so hopeful...
Then we hear a ding. Francesca notifies him that Walt is here to see Saul. Jimmy takes a big breath and asks to let him enter... End. (Chronologically, this is one of the final scenes of S5E1 'Live Free or Die' in Breaking Bad during which Saul attempts to end his relationship with Walt who says to him: 'We're done when I say we're done.') The song plays.

TL; DR: Throughout the years, Jimmy and Kim start to drift apart which results in their break-up. In the Breaking Bad era, Jimmy lives alone and does not seem to have maintained contact with Kim.