«chapter twenty-five: a necessary risk»

Start from the beginning

That's why I knew I had to wear colored contacts here and why I needed to pretend I didn't know Haly as well as I did or the circus for that matter.

Speaking of Haly...

"I'm going to talk to Haly, see if I can get anything more," I say, but I have a feeling they all know that I'm using time that Catgirl is away to visit an old friend.

They nod and I leave, making sure if Catgirl does see me, that she doesn't think I am following her.

Our relationship is rocky at best right now and most of the time I don't even know what to make of our interactions.

I zone out slightly, my feet moving on their own, and soon find myself not at Haly's office, but in front of Zitka's cage.

She lets out a loud trumpet sound when she realizes it's me and wraps her trunk around my head, hugging me to hers.

I smile and hug her back the best I can with the cage in the way.

"Hey, Zitka, I missed you too," I say, petting her.

"You know, you are the second trapeze artist I've caught with Zitka in the last two days," Haly says, walking up.

I raise an eyebrow, "Daisy was here?"

Haly smiles, his eyes shining with amusement, "Your wife was here yesterday, Zitka took a liking to her."

"You know she isn't-"

"With how much your friends enjoyed me thinking you were actually together? How could I not?" He says laughing, "You know, your parents were the same way before they got together. Always fighting about something until they finally admitted they were in love."

"We aren't in love, we just have a... complicated relationship," I tell him.

"Maybe so," He says before looking back at Zitka, "But regardless, she seems like a good person. I told her I was glad you found someone like her." I didn't say anything and he continued, "Does she know who you actually are?"

"No, you didn't tell her, did you?" I rushed out, suddenly panicked. If she knew...

"No, not your name. I told her that a little boy in my circus used to love this elephant. She asked if he still came around and I said no." He says, "I figured she might know who Dick Grayson was, but since you have been sporting those colored contacts, I figured she didn't know you were him."

"As I said, complicated." I smile as he pays me back.

"I'm sure," He shakes his head as he thinks about something else, getting a bewildered look on his face, "You know I did realize you were teaching her the basics, but I would have never known watching you two in the air, how you moved together, heck, she even did three flips. For a newbie, that's very impressive."

I grin at the memory of her telling me how amazing she thought it was after the show, "It was. She was terrified to do it, and then ended up being natural."

"Well, if you don't want her back, you might as well leave her here, I can find a replacement for you." He jokes, chuckling.

I laugh before shaking my head, "She just might take you up on that offer."

Haly shakes his head, "I don't think she would. I know you say your relationship is complicated, but that doesn't mean you both don't care about each other. Friendship wise." He adds at the end seeing me about to defend myself.

"I guess we will see. She has a few secrets we are trying to figure out, we have been trying to hold her at arms-length until we figured it out." I explain, knowing Haly won't go telling anyone. Who would believe him anyway?