«chapter twenty-five: a necessary risk»

Start from the beginning

"Glad you guys got to compare notes," I remark, standing up and grabbing my coat.

Nightwing grabs my arm to stop me, "Cat, you can't be mad. Do you see it's sort of giving us whiplash, the back and forth?"

"I do." I agree, "I do because I'm experiencing it too, from you guys. You spent this whole trip trying to get me to relax about having to trust you guys and then you decide I'm not trustworthy."

"We didn't say that, we-"

"Save it for later, after the mission. I don't want to talk about it anymore and unless you want to explain to Haly where your loving wife went, you should respect that." I say taking his hand off of me before walking to the door, "I'm going to get something to eat, not going to backstab the team, just so you know."

"Cat-"

"I will meet y'all before the performance," I say before shutting the door behind me.

___________________

NIGHTWING'S POV

"That went well," Will says after a few moments.

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose, "She is so frustrating." I mutter.

"That's no way to talk about your wife," Will teases, earning a glare from me. He holds his hands up in surrender, "Only kidding."

"We should have known she would think something was up." Artemis says, "We included her in everything on this mission. And, while I think we are all decent people, it's not like us to just let her sleep this late out of the kindness of our hearts."

"I thought she would buy it. I mean you guys did try to wake her up." Will shrugs, "but I get her side too. If I were her I would be pretty angry too."

"She wasn't angry," Conner speaks up, "I think she was hurt."

I clench my jaw and replay her words in my head. "She has a point."

Why did she have to be so confusing? This mission, this whole thing was just a big and confusing thing that I don't know what to do with, I don't know what to think about her, how to feel about her, and who to believe.

When we met to talk about her, it wasn't because we thought she was bad, I asked if the others thought she was crazy like we originally did. If she was the villain we all thought she was when Rogue was almost decapitated by her.

And we all agreed it wasn't adding up. We all agreed we needed to figure it out when we got back, we needed to look deeper into Cat and Rogue both.

Because last night Cat held her own with Conner and I against Deathstroke but a few days ago she lost to Rogue.

I've been sparring with Rogue and there is no way Cat would have lost. Not unless she threw the game. But why?

I feel like every second I spend with her trying to figure her out, trying to answer a question, I have more questions I need to be answered.

It's like she is a puzzle and the more that I try to solve it, try to fit the pieces together, the more pieces go missing.

"I say we just let her calm down," Conner says, "She won't miss out on the performance. She is mad at us, not Haly."

It's true, she did seem to take a liking to him.

It is weird having her here in my world. This place that only a few people know means so much to me.

And while she doesn't know I am Dick Grayson, I know she figured out this is where his story started after she looked up that article in the bioship.