“Good morning, caro.” Carlina greeted as soon as she walked into the kitchen area.

“Morning.” Allison failed miserably as trying to sound normal. Her throat was a bit raw from screaming the night before and sobbing just this morning.

“Rough night?”

“You have no idea.” Then a thought came to mind, maybe everyone heard her. She was extremely loud.

“I didn’t sleep well either.” She concluded. “Sit. Breakfast is ready.”

“I’m not really hungry.”

“You sound like Antonio. Sit.” Just hearing his name caused her gut to churn. “What’s wrong caro, are you in pain?”

“…” Allison only looked confused as to why she asked if she was alright.

“You grabbed at your stomach as if you were in pain.”

“Oh… no I’m fine.”

“Are you alright? You seem different.”

“Fine. Just a little tired.”

“You should ask Antonio for a day…”

“No! I mean no, I’m fine. Really.” She was trying to convince the both of them because she was far from fine.

“If you insist.” It was clear Carlina wasn’t buying into the ruse but she didn’t push neither.

Every time someone walked into the kitchen, Allison would jump. Carlina kept giving her quizzical looks wanting so to pry but refrained. For that small feat Allison was grateful. Finally she figured she should just bite the bullet and go to her office. Maybe working would take her mind off of her late night visit. Thinking with him being locked up in his room, there was a possibility he wouldn’t come down at all. However opening his office door, she was shocked to see him at his desk in a heated discussion with Gio.

“Yes, Mrs. Myers?” Antonio questioned with a poison laced tongue.

“I can come back.” Allison gestured.

“What do you want?”

“Nothing. I was just going to the office to get to work.” She looked everywhere but at him. The fear of him was back full force.

“Next time knock.”

“Yes sir, Mr. Mucciono.”

“Good morning, Allison.” Gio greeted her with kindness.

“Morning.” She said quietly. Her ears were ringing, chest was throbbing, and tear ducts were watering. The shame was so bad she couldn’t even make eye contact with him.

“Thanks again for the meal last night. I look forward to you making it again.” Gio complimented. She could tell he was really trying to get her to loosen up but it did nothing to help.

“You’re welcome. Just let me know.” Finally looking at him and she saw pity in his eyes. Right then she knew, he’d figured out what happened. Offering him a sad smile, he returned it. As if on automatic her eyes drifted to Antonio’s to see a cold glare that said it all. Tearing her gaze away she rushed into her office, closed the door, and got to work. This was going to be harder than she thought.

*****

Antonio had been distraught when finding out that his Zio Carmine was dead. And not just passed away peacefully in his sleep, no he was murdered. Murdered by someone he didn’t even have any animosity towards until now. Mucciono and Chon organization’s had never quarreled. They’ve always had an ‘I respect your turf, if you respect mine’ type of dealing. Mysteriously things have changed and Antonio was willing to do whatever it took to get to the bottom of it.