𝐙𝐄𝐑𝐎. prologue

✧☾ ATONEMENT ☽✧

━━━━ act one. full moon

 full moon

zero. prologue ━━━━

 prologue ━━━━

°  ✦       *

✦  •                        ·:·        °.

˚✧       + +                 ✦

THE ANIMAL CLINIC SMELLED OF DISINFECTANT AND DEATH. Even at ten years old Nola recognised the distinct penetrating smell of the dying. It was like a heavy fog, clouding her senses and making her eyes tear up. She supposed the veterinarian standing in front of her should be glad he was human, unable to smell when the animals he was supposed to save were close to death.

But the biting smell wasn't the only heavy pressure in the air. There was something else. It made her bones feel heavy and sluggish, as if she was slowly being poisoned. It was only when the vet opened the little gate that led to the back of the building, that the pressure disappeared. Mountain ash.

"It's nice to meet you Nola," he said with a warm smile. "My name is Alan Deaton. You're going to be staying with me for a while."

She shifted uncomfortably on her feet. "Nice to meet you too," she mumbled but almost as soon as the words were out of her mouth did she turn to her parents, who were standing behind her. "Why can't I come with you?"

Sofie Newcrest sighed softly as she kneeled in front of her daughter. "We're gonna talk like boring grown-ups, little Lala," she said, playfully rolling her eyes at the prospect.

"I'm not little anymore," she protested. "You can tell me what's going on."

For a moment Sofie's eyes darkened, as if an unpleasant memory had taken hold of her but then she shook her head and her bright smile returned. "Your dad just wants to make sure no one gets hurt. Okay?"