Signing Up For The Talent Show

You've lived in Beach City all your life. For 17 years you've witnessed weird gem stuff, and you've read about it on Ronaldo's dumb blog. You remember the toxic pink stuff killing the earth, the giant ladies in their hand ships, the... eyeball.. in the sky?

You've seen it all.

But, even with your tugging curiosity, you've stayed away from all that crazy stuff. I mean, you have a good life; you've got a good house, good friends... a good life. Why would you risk all of that for a life of adventure and adrenaline... and space... and cool weapons... and fun and...

You wanted to be a part of it so bad.

While walking down the boardwalk hoping to see Mr. Smiley, you caught a glimpse of the temple on the beach. The sun glimmering off the sea painted the beach house with moving reflections of the waves in the afternoon light. Though you'd never tell anyone, you wanted to live there so bad... you wanted to fight alongside the crystal gems, and be a real part of something!

You were so busy daydreaming that you didn't even see Mr. Smiley planted in front of you. You bumped into him, interrupting his conversation with...

"Steven?" You said, "Steven Universe?"

"Oh, I'm fine," said Mr. Smiley- passive aggressively brushing himself off.

"Oh- um... yeah that's me!" Steven chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck.

Once you popped out of your daze and realized what just happened, you looked to Mr. Smiley and back at Steven.

"Oh! Sorry, I-I really didn't mean to.. interrupt you two like that... Uhm- Mr. Smiley, could I talk with you once you're done?" You said.

"Oh, don't worry about it!" Steven reassured you, "We were just about done, anyway." You sighed in relief. Some first impression...

"See you Friday night then, Mr. Smiley?"

Friday night? But that's...

"Wait- are you performing too?" You asked Steven. The whole reason you needed to find Mr. Smiley is so that you could sign up for the town's talent show! It was going to be Beach City's first judged performance event- with prizes and everything! You were planning on using the prize money to get out of that small town and go somewhere, do SOMETHING. But with Steven competing? Not a chance.

"Yeah, of course!" The boy replied nonchalantly, despite your not-so-subtle fearful expression. "Wouldn't miss it for the world! And what about you? What's your act?"

"I... I..."

You HAD an act! You were going to sing! But now, why enter? Of course, you were too embarrassed to back out now- ESPECIALLY in front of THE Steven Universe, so you just stood there, trying to think of something to say.

"Oh," Steven said, averting his gaze, "Well, that's okay! I'm sure you'll figure something out! Hey, maybe I could help you!"

"Uh-"

"Yeah, I could help you come up with an act! Like I did for Sadie that one time! Well, come to think of it, that actually... didn't go so well... and you didn't even see that... because she didn't perform..."

Steven coughed awkwardly.

"But anyway! I could help you!" He paused, taking a breath. "If you want."

"Look, uh... that's really nice of you, Steven, but-"

"Great! Then it's settled! Mr. Smiley, sign them up!"

Okay, so you're doing this.

"Alrighty then!" Mr. Smiley ~smiled. "What's your name?"

💫