forty-nine: Proven Heart

It was Nathaniel who awoke her the next day early in the morning. The sun had barely crept behind the horizon, but he was already up, bathed, and packed two bags of clothes.

She, on the other hand, could barely keep her eyes open. She kept a smile on him despite being about to fall back to the bed.

“You can sleep in the car, moon.” He chuckles as he lifts her from the bed and sent her to the bathroom.

She could tell whatever he was planning, he was excited about. She smiles to herself, knowing she had something to give him, too.

The car ride was full of peace. Just like what Nathaniel suggested, she fell asleep minutes after the car moved. The lulling motion of the vehicle kept her relaxed while he sat behind the steering wheel.

She awoke an hour later with the car still on the road. Nathaniel was driving slowly like he was afraid to go any faster. Though she didn’t mind. She enjoyed being this close and quiet with just him.

Her head rested on his shoulder while barely uttering a word to each other. Nathaniel randomly pointed out places. And then there was her wolf howling, looking only for her mate.

It was a serene moment that she had no intentions of breaking.

Two hours and a couple of stops later, Nathaniel diverged from the main road and took a muddy path. The side of the road was covered with towering redwoods, casting long slender shadows and momentarily hiding the light from them.

Selena leaned over the windshield and watched in wonder as a cottage appeared in front of her. The homely, welcoming exterior was a sight to marvel at. The facade was full of glass windows, letting her see the furniture and upholstery inside.

“Surprised?” he asks.

She turns to him.

“Yes,” she answers, reeling herself silently from the shock as Nathaniel pulled into the driveway. “I mean, who wouldn’t be?”

A beautiful cottage house just sitting in the middle of nowhere would cause a lot of eyebrows to raise.

He laughs her question off.

“Dad brought me here when I was just a little kid. It’s home far away from home.”

“Just the two of you?”

He nods.

“Yes, for training. He willed it to me and Jacob, but my brother just seems not that interested in it. It’s mine now.”

“It’s a beautiful home, Nathaniel.” She offered him a smile, placing her hand over his.

“I know.” He says. “Take your time exploring while I get everything ready.”

Selena nods, taking her satchel from the backseat before she hopped out of the car. A small breeze swept her hair to the side as she walked to the door. It was unlocked. One twist of the doorknob, she enters, breathless as the house’s interior greeted her.

Her mouth was slightly ajar as her eyes took in the view. The furniture was well arranged and kept clean. There was a sense of calmness all over the living room. Like a fairy tale has come to life so suddenly. The walls were adorned with many medals, trophies, and photos of Nathaniel’s family.

She smiles after seeing a photo of Nathaniel holding Jacob as a baby. Even as a kid, he looked awfully cute in a suit. Her eyes landed on Jacob senior’s photos. Nathaniel rode his shoulder while he held Junior in his arms, proudly smiling.

Next to it were wedding photos of him and Eliza, looking softly into each other’s eyes. She could almost feel the love radiating from the many photos of them together.