nineteen - a double-edged sword

As the cold snow under the sole of her feet bit her skin, Selena persevered through the pain as she tried her best to deflect the incoming barrage of fists coming her way. In front of her, Joseph crossed his arms as he observed her. Her contender was the same level as her, both of them new to combat but Selena was on the losing side. The woman that she was against had a bigger body, a much faster one. And all that she could do was dodge.

Her enemy swiftly dove and caught Selena’s waist, tackling her to the ground. Her back hit the dirt and snow while she desperately willed herself to push her opponent away and stand on her feet.

But her efforts were fruitless when all of sudden, Joseph pulled the woman away from her, ending the match right away.

Selena glanced at him, upset with his interruption. A few seconds more, she would have been able to knock her opponent on the ground.

“Good job, Cindy.” Joseph patted the wolf’s back, turning his attention to Selena afterward. “Wow, that was very sad to watch.”

Joseph reached his hand out for her to which she accepted with a rueful glare as he pulled her from the ground.

“Leave me alone, I’m trying my best.” She answered.

“Well, your best is not good enough. Do better if you want to climb the rank.”

Joseph wasn’t lying around. The training was hard, mentally and physically taxing. While everyone around here had improved somewhat significantly over two weeks, Selena had a long way to go.

“I just need more training, that’s all. Your pestering won’t help me improve.” Selena grimaced.

“It’s motivation, little Luna. I don’t expect you to become stronger if I’m lenient. If you think I’m strict, just be glad my wife is at the moment very, heavily pregnant. If she were here like your brother wanted, everyone would be in the ground crying.”

Joseph shook his head. Sadly, he wasn’t wrong. The great Luna Amber of pack Albrich was famous even before her husband became an Alpha. She was well known for being an undefeated brawler, even challengers from other packs had a hard time going against her. Though she wasn’t big or had had a muscly physique, Luna Amber fought with her agile movements.

She shuddered to think what would happen if the Luna was the one training them. If she was having a hard time now then Luna Amber would have already made her quit.

“For now, rest Selena. You need to gather your strength back before I can let you join another session.” Joseph ordered.

“But I can keep going…” She dragged her words, fully aware that her body had started to shut itself down.

Her shoulder slumped, her sides feeling enormously felt tender, and her spine felt like it was about to be toppled after being slammed into the ground.

“I’d rather you be resting, least I would incur the wrath of your brother which I certainly don’t want.” Joseph shook his head.

“My brother? Talon is harmless. He doesn’t even know how to properly throw a punch.” Selena knitted her brows.

Joseph’s face morphed into a surprised expression until he slowly smiled and laughed.

“You think your brother is some kind of puppy without a talent? Why is that?” He raised a brow.

“Because I haven’t seen him stab a wolf before. Yes, maybe he knows a bit of combat but I know my brother. He would try to talk his way out of anything.” She explained.

Talon had the same disposition as their father. Always no to violence and let actions be spoken through treaties and connections. That was the Highcliff’s way of working in the world and to imagine her brother fight like other wolves was just too far-fetched.