forty four: Oblivion

“Kayla!” Talon bellowed after entering the packhouse’s foyer.

A ton of fears enshroud him. The fear of seeing his mate hurt and him not being to protect her.

As he walked through the corridor, the smell of blood entered his nostrils. And the scene before him also riled his already frightened wolf.

In front of him was a grieving wolf, his mate no longer alive. From the look of it, she was shot through the chest. The cries of the wolf override Talon’s hearing. Though inside he was breaking, he knew this was another loss from war. An avoidable circumstance.

Francis was his best spy. With his cousin in the arms of pack Morris, no one had the connection and reach to warn them. But even still as Alpha Highcliff, he should have had an inkling of what was going on or what was going to happen.

This was no longer the time wondering for what-ifs and buts, the deed was done and pack Remmington was victorious this time. He had to begrudgingly accept that fact.

“Kayla Marie!” He calls her name again as he ran through the halls painted with carnage.

What if the next body he encounters was Kayla’s? Talon couldn’t stomach the idea and began feeling dizzy.

He breaths in deeply, trying to catch a whiff of her scent. But it was a hard task when the smell of different wolves was muddying the air around him.

“Julius?” He mutters his Beta’s name.

His Beta was leaning against the wall with his abdomen all covered in blood. He was smiling callously at Talon and chuckles as he fluttered his eyes to clear his vision.

“Ah, I’m glad you’re back, sir. Gotta admit I thought something bad might have happened to you.” Julius quips, hissing as he tried to move.

“Damn it, Julius. I’m so sorry I let this happen to you.”

Talon knelt beside his Beta and hoisted him up, slinging his arm over his shoulder.

“Don’t mention it, Alpha. This is nothing I can’t bounce back from. You should have seen the other wolf. Her head is no longer attached to her body.” He snickers.

Talon held him as they walk to the pack’s infirmary. While they were walking, the remains of pack Remmington’s attack greeted Talon. A small fire had broken loose, glasses and windows were shattered, and bullet holes littered all over the walls and even the ceiling.

The infirmary was sadly a sight much more daunting. The room was filled with an overwhelming amount of grief. In his eyes, the sight of one wolf immediately melted his heart. Kayla was passing through the room, carrying an infant child as she escorted an injured wolf to one of the many beds.

Talon brought Julius to the nearest bed, setting him up before he turns to his mate who was busy cleaning the wolf’s bloody leg all the while having a baby hanging on her body.

He approaches her, touching her shoulder gently. Once their eyes meet, Talon was flooded with relief seeing as though she was okay.

“Love,” he mutters. “Hi.”

She replies with a meek smile. The brave face she initially wore crumbled as she began to sob uncontrollably.

“You’re home.” She gulps.

“I came as fast as I could. I’m sorry I’m too late.”

He pulls her from her seat and plants a long kiss on her forehead. Words could not express how much weight lifted from his shoulders after holding her in his arms.