thirty eight: control

Lively runs her tongue over her lip as she watches Selena sit with the strange wolf. They were too far away for her wolf to hear anything. It also didn’t help how the day was far too windy. She grimaced, gravely perturbed and on the brink of shifting to her wolf to snatch Selena away.

“Lively, did you know about this?” Tobias breaks the silence.

None of them at the table resumed eating after the two had left for their ‘talk’.

The Moon knows what they were talking about but all Lively could think of was how that wolf could look so much like Nathaniel, but the colors flipped around.

“Of course not, right, love?” Winston placed a hand on her lap, his green eyes looking deep into his wife’s scared expression.

“I honestly didn’t know.” She answered.

But even if she did, the wolves Selena associated with were not her business. Though she couldn’t help but worry for her safety. She needed to trust Selena but that didn’t mean she trusted that wolf.

“Do you think Luna Highcliff is that girl?” Ulric speaks as he sneaked a small slab of meat into his mouth.

Lively turned to him.

“Excuse me what?” She exclaimed.

Aurora sighs.

“There’s a rumor in pack Albrich. Dorran, he uh… apparently disappears for hours during the day when he was stationed in pack Highcliff. Some say it was because he was secretly seeing his mate.”

“Selena and that wolf?” She groans.

The air around that wolf seemed dense and his hidden scent should be enough for Selena to understand he was big bad news. Though the way he spoke to her, it all seemed like they were more than acquaintances.

Lively bit her tongue nervously.

“Can we trust him?” Winston murmurs.

“What the fuck does that mean, Winston? Of course, we can. I’ve known him for years. Are you accusing him-” James gritted his teeth.

“Calm down, wolf.” Tobias spoke to pacify the oncoming match. “He has the right to be doubtful. Can you remember one time when he didn’t have his scent masker on? I mean, he bathes, sleeps, and runs with that thing.”

Why did that only confirm her fears? Lively’s legs shook feverishly as she slipped her sandals back on and stood. Before she took a step, Winston grasped her hand. She didn’t need any more signal to know he was trying to make her think her actions through before doing them.

Tobias’ phone buzzed alive. He reads the message written on its screen. His composed expression no longer existed.

“Joseph, he’s calling all his wolves home. It’s urgent.” The Beta grimaced.

“Why? What’s going on?” Lively cautiously asked with creased brows.

“He didn’t specify. It just says I’m needed back home while he’s away in another country… somewhere in Europe, I guess. I’m really, really sorry, Lively. I wish we didn’t have to leave so soon after all the effort you’ve done.”

She nods. “You are Albrich’s Beta. I understand completely.”

The wolves around her stood after they finished their plates. Lively sat back down, smiling and nodding while each wolf thanked her.

“I think it’s better if we just let him talk with Selena. If he tries anything stupid, call me and I’ll straighten him out.”

With reluctance, she nodded.