first glance:

sasuke was listening to a pre-recording of a new music piece he was creating. he hummed lowly to it, the soft melody of the piano reminded him of a certain blonde boy. in fact; he created the music notes to fit the personality of the boy. a structure of sweet harmony with a dash of loudness, the perfect combination to either soothe the listener or... put the listener into a deeper, better mood. he turned his head slightly to the right. he paused his music as his teacher's voice grew in volume. he stole a quick glance at the boy sitting across the classroom.

naruto uzumaki. the artist of the school. the loud blond was only quiet when focused on art. whether it be: pencil, pen, paint, charcoal, pastels, you name it, he used it.

his eyes went back to the front. not wanting anyone to notice the quick glance he stole. in that fraction of a second, he had already memorized everything about his outer appearance. the spiky blond hair that dropped slightly over his blue eyes, his whiskered cheek that had a faint blush due to the heat in the classroom, his tongue out in the corner of his mouth as he sketched mindlessly. sasuke felt ashamed, but thrilled. his heart was always hammering against his chest when his eyes would land on naruto. did he know why? no. not one bit, but it wasn't a secret that his heart knew what he wanted, but his mind was too oblivious. his voice to shy to say it out loud. it was an inner battle.

naruto, sweet naruto, had looked up from the simple sketch he had drawn out across his assignment. a small coat of blush dusted his lightly tanned face, this time, not from the heat. it was a simple pencil outline of a male in his class. his eyes scanned the paper, he perfectly drawn their famous deadpan look. he perfectly drawn the lips to look fuller, yet thin, a combination to make them look soft, even on the paper. he perfectly drawn the few pieces of hair that were always sticking up, making it contrast his face and look. sticking like a true model. that sketch was drawn from memory, and yet, the male stood out more on his paper than the words that left instructions. he scratched behind his head, embarrassed that he would need a new paper.

but instead of asking; his eyes couldn't help but secretly wander to the other side of the room. quickly focusing back on his sketch. in that single second, maybe less, he had memorized the way sasuke was sitting. his cheeks flushed more, he felt unnatural. he shouldn't be stealing glances at a male.

sasuke sat up straighter. he had felt eyes on him for a split second and it disappeared. he shrugged it off as his fingers began to tap his desk in a light manner. he was creating tunes inside his head, thinking about it over and over again. changing whatever he felt was wrong. his mind was creating a new masterpiece, and the tunes and beats of his music would perfectly correspond with the artist.

his bright personality would correspond with his more perplexed on. naruto was the sun that shined bright on anyone, he was the light to lead the way through a tunnel. sasuke was the tunnel. he was the moon that couldn't make much light. together... well, together they could be the perfect couple, the power couple.

they were missing puzzle pieces that would only fit together.

they would need each other. but they did not know that just yet.

they were parallels that weren't meant to cross paths. so alike, so different.

sasuke peeked again, wanting to see more of what naruto was wearing. he already knew he would be sketching something, but he wanted to see if his outfit had changed over the years. sasuke looked a bit longer than intentional, thus, making their sensei call on him.

"mr.uchiha, i rather you pay attention in my class and focus on the reading assignment. you don't need to be looking at a student across the room." their sensei -kakashi- had called out.

sasuke quickly looked away from naruto. he noticed the blue eyed male perk up at sasuke's name. sasuke's pale face showed a visible blush of embarrassment. he hated being called on, hated being called out.

his head was lowered to his desk, he quickly took one last glance at naruto, but this time they had made eye contact. naruto's eyes widened as he quickly looked away, both had felt their hearts beating rapidly. if they were next to each other, they would feel that their hearts were in sync. pounding against the barrier -called a chest- at a constant rhythm, the same rhythm.

sasuke shook his head, placing a hand over his chest. he simply smiled, a small smile to his face. naruto saw that, he quickly erased the lips he had first sketched. going based off of memory once more, he began to draw the outline of the smile he saw for only a moment. hoping it would come out great.

sasuke took one more cheesy glance, seeing naruto fastly scribbling down on his paper. wondering what the blonde was drawing, wondering what was more important than their assignment.

he played his music again and picked his pencil up, finally starting the assignment before class would end. he turned the music up, biting his bottom lip as he felt something was off about the music. yet, his finger could not reach it, the missing piece was just slipping through his fingers at an alarming rate. he shook his head and went to answer the first question, he would deal with that obstacle later.

but, he forgot about one more obstacle: naruto uzumaki.

sasuke's mind had gone back to naruto's clothing. naruto was wearing light orange cargo pants. he had a loose black t-shirt on, hanging just below the waist band of his cargo pants. he had white air forces on. it was practically the same three colors everyday: white, black and orange. but each day was still a different outfit. naruto was beyond creative in dressing himself, it was the artist in him.

sasuke looked at his outfit before going back to his paper. he was wearing a black wife-beater, a button up maroon shirt over it, leaving the buttons open. showing his undershirt. he had black dr.martens on as well.

even their clothes corresponded like the moon and sun.

they were opposites. they were parallels that would never cross paths. at least, that's what they thought.

before either one of them could steal another glance at each other. before either one could hope they weren't caught, the bell had rung. the quiet school was filled with seats scrapping against the floor, filled with the voices of kids finally talking to their friends, filled with the sound of people packing their things away to head to their next class.

sasuke and naruto both quickly stood up, naruto stuffing his papers in, crumbling them in the process. sasuke neatly putting them up in a folder. they didn't bother looking at each other again, there would be another chance tomorrow.

instead, naruto headed to the art room and sasuke headed to the music room. both had an off period, both spending it in their comfort places, spending it in their second home, their nature.

both ready to pour out their feelings on to a sheet of paper. one for music; one for drawing. one for auditory; one for visual.

they weren't ready to see each other again the next day, but maybe, just maybe, they would see each other a fraction sooner.

but even then, they probably wouldn't be ready. they each wanted to ignore their hearts and desires, they wanted nothing from each other.

but in the end, we all know what's bound to happen. try to force something away and it comes right back to you. such a shame that soon they won't be parallels, but perpendiculars when finally crossing paths.

but in this story; you'll never know if once they cross paths, everything goes away and they become parallels again or if when crossing paths, they stay together.