8. Greet Death Himself

Start from the beginning

     It did bring great pleasure that he left her there with hope. Maybe that was what the kiss had been for. The reason will become clear with time.

     Since the first task, he can't help but worry for her. There is no proper explanation as to why he can't get Franklin out of his head. Could it be that he... cared for her?

     Even now as he watches her movements in the crystal ball, his heart is beating fast. It's beating fast out of fear. He has no clue what will happen there. The king has been forbidden to aid whoever is taking on the deadly tasks.

     His own rule, unfortunately.

     "She will make it out alive, I promise you that." Trandalin doesn't sound very sure. He wasn't watching the girl as the king is.

     The goblin is staring ahead at the labyrinth wall, wondering what will meet her inside.

     "Maybe not in one piece." There Jareth goes again. Having that constant feeling present in his chest. It would have been so simple if that woman told them who the girl would be in the first place. That would have saved them all the trouble.

     "I need her to be the one." The Goblin King sounded almost hopeful in this. He has never seen such potential in a candidate before her. Before precious Franky.

     This is a strange day indeed.

~~~

      I watch a shadow come out from behind a tree that's only a few feet away. At first, it looks like a man. Then it keeps coming closer and closer. I backed away however it wasn't from fear.

     The hidden creature steps into a stream of moonlight. A gasp leaves me at once.

     It's not a random person or beast. It's as if I'm looking into a mirror. Whatever it appears to be me. Except fully intact and not covered in dried monster blood.

     "Don't be afraid." Well, there is another difference I spot. We don't have the same voice at all. It is more scratchy. Kind of sounds like it has a cold or soar throat.

     "How can I be afraid of something that looks like me?" I'm being honest with my words. I don't understand how this will go.

     "That is why my child, I am the very image that you most desire to see." This makes no sense. It must be a riddle of sorts. I'll get to the bottom of it with or without a fight.

     "And why would I want to see myself?" How can any of this be a test? What is this?

     My double chuckled and shook its head. Its eyes were not my chocolate ones but a sinister purple. Gives me a feverish tug at my heart.

     The powerful being in front stopped the sweet act. Now there is a wide grin on its face. So large that it takes over and practically split the cheeks. That I could never do. Something in this test seems flawed.

     This thing is not the only beast waiting for me here. I was not wrong. I will die here and it will be nothing compared to what I've pictured since the first step I took in this beautiful labyrinth.

     "I am what you must desire within yourself, I am the perfect you."

~~~

     "Wait, this isn't right" The king had watched the unknown beast come to Franklin. It was startling to see the resemblance. Whatever it is, it's not supposed to be there.