Chapter 30

2023- Avengers Compound

I sat on the bench at the end of the dock and looked out at the water. I needed air, I couldn't be in that place knowing everything I had lost to get to this point. I knew getting the stones back was important; I still wanted the plan to work but I needed a minute, even if it was just one, to mourn before I could get back to helping the others. I needed it. Natasha deserved more than this.

I hadn't stopped crying since we got back. I just remember blacking out from crying so much and begging Clint for forgiveness. I broke my promise to him; he didn't blame me but I did. I should've fought harder but that woman and her weapons, she was always prepared. I wasn't. I sighed as I heard someone come up behind me and then sit down.

"It should've been me Tony." I said and I could hear the break in my voice.

"It should've been me." Tony put his hand on my shoulder as I let myself cry again.

"Cry, do whatever you have to, just let it out but once you're done, you need to pull yourself together and finish this for Nat. You understand me?" Tony said, draping his arm across my shoulders and pulling me into his chest.

Tony was right, I needed to continue on for Natasha, I needed to finish this. I wasn't going to let her death be in vain. She sacrificed herself, for this, for us all to win. I couldn't stand down from this fight.

I heard Sam and Bruce come up behind Tony and I. I pulled away from him to turn around a little to face them. My guilt was eating at me but Bruce loved Natasha too, I could understand his hurt.

"Do we know if she had family?" Tony asked once Steve and Thor approached as well but I shook my head.

"Yeah. Us." I said without looking at anyone but keeping my eyes fixated on the water.

"What?" Thor said.

"Huh?" Tony questioned standing up so he could keep Thor away from me.

"What are you doing?" Thor asked Tony.

"I just asked a question."

"Yeah, no, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead?" Thor said, getting heated which kind of annoyed me but I didn't have the energy to get mad at him.

"We have the stones, right?"

"As long as we have the stones, Julia, we can bring her back. Isn't that right?" I shook my head and lowered my gaze.

"So stop this shit. We're the Avengers. Get it together."

"Can't get her back." I whispered under my breath but I felt everyone's eyes on me.

"What's she...? What?" Thor stuttered.

"It can't be undone. It can't." I answered Thor's statement.

"Look, I'm sorry, no offence, but you're a very earthly being, okay? And we're talking about space magic. And can't seems very definitive. Don't you think?" Thor said quite condescendingly and I got up to face him.

"This earthly being can take any hit you dish out and heal in seconds all while simultaneously gutting you." I threatened; I didn't like being belittled.

"Look, I know that I'm way outside my pay grade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" I questioned angrily.

"No, that's my point." Thor tried.

"It can't be undone. Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say."

"Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay?! Go grab your hammer and you go fly and you go talk to him!" I yelled pointing at Thor letting all of my rage out through my words.