Chapter 20

2017- Wakanda (3 days later)

"Are you ready?" T'Challa asked and I nodded.

"I'm ready to finally know that my mind is mine again."

"Okoye will be the one to take you to the mountains, but not too far considering you are already weak due to the poisoning." I nodded as T'Challa brought Okoye into the lab where we were all anxiously waiting for my departure.

"Is there a reason that the leader of the Dora Milaje is the one assigned to help me?" I asked while raising an eyebrow at T'Challa.

"Your abilities have been proven to be rather inconvenient for your enemies. If by chance the procedure failed, Okoye will be able to control you." T'Challa explained and I appreciated the honesty.

"Fair. It's nice to finally meet you Okoye, I hear nothing but great things." I sounded a little like I was fangirling over the woman but did you blame me? She was superior in every way and a complete badass, literally T'Challa's right hand woman.

"Nice to meet you as well." she said, taking my hand and shaking it.

"Your eyes just lit up like a damn christmas tree." Sam whispered in my ear and I gave him a glare.

"She is the leader of the Dora Milaje, do you blame me?" Sam nodded in agreement.

"And the added bonus that she can literally swipe your head off in a split second is pretty cool."

"All valid points." Wanda said coming up to us and I smiled.

"So you agree? The Dora Milaje are badass?" I questioned.

"Oh 100 percent." Wanda said and winked at me.

"But in all seriousness, are you ready?" she asked, her voice changing tone to a more serious one.

"Yeah, I need to know and I need to do it in a secure space with a woman who could kill me in an instance." I said jokingly but Wanda clearly didn't find it funny.

"Can you be serious for 5 minutes please?" she asked.

"Well, I'm dying so, no not really." I said looking back at Sam who was just shaking his head. Why was no one else finding this funny?

"Unbelievable" Wanda rolled her eyes.

"Okay, okay, yes I'm ready, I'm just confident that Shuri's procedure worked and by the end of my trek with the Dora Milaje I'll be ready for my transplant." I had high hopes for this; I knew it was dangerous to be this confident but I was almost certain Shuri had fixed me.

"I like the confidence." Wanda commented as she wrapped her arms around my neck.

I leaned down and gave her a soft kiss which she reciprocated and I could hear Sam pretending to gag in the background.

"You're 5 you know that bird-brain?" I commented as I broke Wanda and I's kiss.

"Yeah but you need to get a room." Sam bickered back.

"I guess I should probably let you say goodbye to the others even though I kind of just want you to myself."

"That's very fair but I think a couple people would be sad." I said gesturing behind me to Sam and Wanda laughed.

"Hey, don't fool yourself." Sam commented.

"Anyway, I'll see you soon, okay?" I said and Wanda nodded.

"Yes, please, hurry back to me." I kissed her one more time and we pulled apart just in time for Steve and Natasha to walk in.

"Good luck." Steve was a man of few words but he said all he needed to in the hug he gave me.