Chapter 18

*****

"Julia." I heard from behind me and a single-armed bucky came up to me as I awaited my MRI.

"Bucky." I hugged him tightly.

"I heard The Red Room got you." he said quite solemnly and I nodded.

"Yeah, not exactly ideal." I lifted my sleeves to show the black veins.

"The adamantium is poisoning me. The torture sped up the process. I'm sorta dying."

"How are you going to fix this?" Bucky asked, clearly very worried.

"Vibranium transplant; T'Challa offered me it a while back when we originally brought you here."

"A year ago Julia?" he was starting to sound like he was scolding me but I blamed the old man in him for that.

"Yeah, I wasn't ready for it back then. I was healthy and I didn't realize the damage vibranium could have against adamantium. I know it slowed down my healing but I still healed regardless, now though, not so much." I said regarding the fresh scars on my body that had been left behind by the vibranium weapons.

"Where the hell did they even get vibranium weapons?" Bucky asked.

"Some weapons dealer; off the books for sure. They called him Klaue but I'm not sure."

"What are you waiting on now." he gestured to me standing in the middle of Shuri's lab.

"MRI, to make sure the poison hasn't reached my brain and if it hasn't I'm going to start my rehabilitation so I can get the vibranium transplant."

"Gotta make sure you're not a sneaky weapon like me?" I nodded.

"Exactly."

"Where's your girl?" Bucky asked, looking around.

"Wanda is somewhere around here talking with T'Challa about the transplant. I guess she's worried I won't survive it even though I know I will." I said with a laugh.

"How did you know I was asking about Wanda?" Bucky wrinkled his eyebrow. Little bastard got me.

"Uh."

"Steve told me about your situation, I think you have your answer though, in your subconscious mind Wanda is your girl." I couldn't believe I did that, it was just a reflex, smart move Barnes.

"I hadn't really had the time to think about it." I said.

"Then don't. Go with what feels right. You don't always have to think about everything. Natasha is amazing and you've just gone through hell together but the fact that you associate Wanda with 'your girl' proves that maybe your mind knows something that you're not aware of yet." Bucky explained; how did this always become about my feelings, I just went through hell. A girlfriend isn't exactly my priority right now even though I knew Wanda probably wouldn't leave my side through the recovery.

"You have a point Barnes. But let's focus on saving my life first."

"Julia, let's do this." Shuri came into the room.

"See you later Bucky."

I followed Shuri to her examination table and she patted it indicating for me to lay down. I knew they probably didn't have a basic MRI machine and I was right. A holographic scanner appeared in front of my eyes and began its work. I closed my eyes for a moment and in that moment Shuri spoke up.

"It's done."

I sat up and saw Shuri's face construe a little which worried me but then relaxed. She smiled at me and nodded.