Chapter 12

2016/2017- New Years Eve: Eze, France (approx. 6 months later)

"You're annoying." I said as Wanda moved her chess piece with a smirk.

"No you're annoying, your move old woman." I moved my bishop to counter her queen but I knew this game was a wash, Wanda had it in the bag.

Over the last 6 months Wanda and I have been really enjoying our time away from the Avengers and fugitive life. We stayed longer than I thought we would but I wasn't complaining, I checked in with Steve every week still and I could tell he was getting antsy for our return but Wanda and I were having too much fun to even think about leaving even though eventually and probably sometime soon we would have too, I could feel it coming to an end, how it would though I had no clue.

"Sam is calling you." Wanda said as she handed me my phone while she contemplated her next move.

"Thanks, I'll be right back, no cheating!" I said as I moved into the next room and took the call.

"Bird-brain, what's up?" I asked and I could hear Sam's eye roll through the phone. Sam and I have kept up communication as well, he gave me updates on Steve and I gave him updates on my situation with Wanda.

"Nothing, Steve just brought up again the fact that he wished you guys would come back already." he said with a laugh.

"I can literally hear it in his voice whenever I call him for the weekly check in" we both laughed and I sighed, I truly wish I could stay forever but duties and promises were at play here and I couldn't just turn the tracker off, I wouldn't do that to Steve.

"How's you and your girl?" Sam asked and I had been waiting for him to bring her up.

"Good." I said.

"So you've kissed again?!" Sam asked excitedly but I groaned.

"No, I haven't kissed her since that night before we left on the quinjet." I told him.

"I'm trying to be polite and charming but it's killing me bird-boy, all I want to do is be close to her, yes we sleep in the same bed and yes we sleep very close to each other but nothing, it's like my body doesn't react to my head anymore." I explained and I heard the man hum. I knew it was kind of weird to talk to Sam about this stuff but Steve was just as old fashioned as I was and Natasha wouldn't want to hear about this even though I hadn't heard from the girl in over a month and it was worrying me a bit.

"I'm gonna say what I told you last time man, just kiss her, you did it once, just keep doing it, you know she likes you, hell that girl was in love with you when you left-"

"We don't know that." I cut him off but he scoffed.

"Open your eyes man, you can't be that old, you've been around the block. Woman up, do what you have to do, what you've been dying to do, I'm surprised you guys haven't even done the deed yet."

"Hey! I'm a gentle-woman okay? I'm old fashioned, I'm all for courting and dating before making anything serious." I explained.

"If you count this as dating you've been doing it for 6 months, that's outrageous."

"Okay, you have a very valid point. I should go, I'm playing her in chess right now and I don't want her to cheat again." I said.

"Alright, good luck and happy New Year."

"Happy New Year Sam" I shut the flip phone off and returned to my chair in front of Wanda.

"What's up with Sam?" Wanda asked and I shrugged.