Chapter 29

*****

"Alright, Six Stones, three teams, one shot." Steve said as he showed us the finished plan.

Tomorrow we would be going into time, I was nervous but also extremely excited. Tony and I had finished the gauntlet last night and I was able to take a nap on the couch earlier today. So far everything went swimmingly.

Natasha and I would be going to Vormir to retrieve the Soul Stone. Clint, Rhodey and Nebula would be going to Morag to get the Power Stone. Steve, Tony, Sam, Scott and Bruce would be going to New York to retrieve the Mind, Time and Space Stones. Thor and Rocket would be getting the Reality Stone from Asgard. The plan was full proof, the gauntlet was full proof, everything was going right and there was no doubt in my mind that this would work. It had to, plan A was all we got because I refused to use plan B.

"You slept?" Natasha asked, coming into the lab where I was sitting and Bruce was across the room working on what I asked of him.

"Yeah, on the couch after Tony and I finished the gauntlet." I was nervous for a moment because I didn't want her to notice what Bruce was doing but I was hoping to keep her distracted.

"That's good. You nervous about tomorrow?" she asked, sitting in the chair beside me and I turned my own so that our bodies would be facing each other.

"A little but I have confidence; everything is gonna be okay. The plan will work, it has to."

"Your confidence makes me feel a lot less nervous." Natasha said with a laugh.

"Good, I'm happy to be of service."

We sat in silence for a moment before I heard Bruce hit his head on something and it got Natasha's attention. Shit.

"Bruce? Have you been there the whole time?" Bruce got nervous instantly and I shook my head.

"Uh, yeah, just finishing up some work." Bruce stuttered. Fuck.

"What work?" Natasha asked, confused because everything was done. I started to feel the panic rise.

"Just some test runs, that's all." Bruce was trying his best but Natasha was not buying what he was selling.

"Nat" I said, getting her attention before she could stand up to see what Bruce was doing.

"Can we go for a walk?" I asked and she nodded.

"Yeah after I see what Bruce is testing." I panicked and grabbed her arm.

"No, now, I need to talk to you." I couldn't think of anything else and Natasha's look got more serious.

"It can wait a hot minute." she said, walking towards Bruce; I had to think fast and I knew I would hate myself for this later but I couldn't think of another way.

I pulled on Natasha's arm and she fell into me as I placed my lips on hers. I felt so bad for this but I was desperate; I swung my arm at Bruce for him to run away and he did thank god. I went back to focusing on the kiss and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. I hadn't kissed anyone since Wanda and I felt extremely guilty but this was Natasha. Tomorrow we were going into time and space; just in case anything happened I wanted to kiss her one last time.

I felt Natasha grab my waist as I held her face in my hands. The kiss wasn't ending and I didn't want it to. I kissed her hard pushing her against the wall, I knew we both needed to breathe but if I stopped now I wouldn't begin again. I tried to push out the feelings of guilt and eventually I did; all I felt was Natasha and how much we cared for each other.

I released her lips and began kissing her neck; her moans were quickly filling the space around us and her hands were now in my hair. I really hoped no one would walk in. I knew this was wrong, I knew I did it for all the wrong reasons but it was turning into this moment with Natasha. Just one final moment before we brought everyone back, just her and me and honestly after everything we had been through we deserved it. To feel something other than pain. Natasha was my best friend and I wanted to give her this. I knew how she felt about me and I felt something for her. I always had so to express that now even though the timing may be horrible, I just wanted her to feel loved.