Dante's Monologue

Start from the beginning

I looked around the field, trying to find something with a distinctive smell. The whole field smelled of cherry blossom, so I looked for something smaller with a weaker smell. In the distance, I caught sight of the burnt scarecrow that I set on fire a while ago. The flames had died down and the hay was blackened and burnt.

I focused on the smell of the scarecrow and smoke instantly filled my nostrils, making my eyes water. I started coughing as the burnt smell entered my lungs, restricting me from breathing  the fresh air around me. Dante chuckled heartily as I focused on the cherry blossom in order to get rid of the horrid smell.

"Good job, Eli! I knew you could do it. Now, focus on a sound." He said with a determined tone in his voice, never averting his piercing gaze from me.

I was still inhaling heavily the fresh air as I tried to find a source of a sound. I remembered the sound that I heard this morning, of someone digging in the dirt. I remembered the distinctive sound of something metallic digging in the ground and the earth crumbling softly. I focused on the same sound, searching for it. My ears prickled as I heard it again, more clearly this time.

I smiled brightly as I huffed out in excitement.

"Gabriel is still gardening? Isn't he tired already?" I giggled as I turned towards Dante who was smiling proudly at me. I saw his eyes lighten as his ears moved a little, and I understood that he was listening to the same thing as I did.

He laughed, his face glowing as he heard his mate. After a second his happy expression faltered a little and he locked eyes with me.

"Focus on his breathing." He said, but it sounded more like an order.

I did as he said and the small, quick breaths sounded in my mind.

"Can you understand what he's feeling?" Dante said gloomily, his smile fading. I furrowed my eyebrows and as I listened to the sharp breaths, I tried to interpret them.

"He's frustrated," I stated after a while and Dante nodded at me. His expression became gloomy and I noticed his worry for his mate's feelings.

After a few seconds, I realized that I listened to his breathing and the digging sound, and it got louder and louder. I frowned and tried to focus on more sounds around Gabriel. I could hear his erratic breathing, the dirt moving around, his heartbeats beating at a quick, steady pace and the soft puffs of air as Gabriel huffed while digging.

"Hey Dante," I caught his attention, pulling him out of his thoughts. "Is it possible to hear more than one sound around the main one that I'm focusing on?" I asked curiously and he smiled at me again.

"Yes, maybe one or two more. But it takes a lot of years to actually achieve it, and a lot of practice." He said softly. My frown deepened at his answer.

"Gabriel's breathing is sharp, his heartbeats are short and quick. Every time his shovel comes in contact with the dirt, I can hear the small huff that he lets out and the metallic sound of the tool digging in the dirt. It's like I can hear what Gabriel is hearing right now" I said at Dante and his eyes widened a little as he observed me.

"Simultaneously? You can hear all four of them at the same time? Or do you focus on each of them separately?" He asked amazed and full of curiosity as he scooted closer to me, leaning towards me as if he could hear what I was hearing.

"All of them, at the same time. Is that weird? Can't you do it?" I asked as I ceased focusing on Gabriel. Dante gasped and grinned down at me, showing his excitement.

"That's extraordinary! No, I can only focus on three sounds at the same time and it took me years to achieve it. Eliana... I can't believe how quickly you unlock your powers, this is...outstanding, unbelievable...impossible even!" Dante was left amazed by what I said and his grin showed how eager he was to learn more about what I can do. After that, he was lost in thought as he absentmindedly looked around the field.