✹twenty three✹

Start from the beginning

On the fourth into their return journey, Rhena lay restless in her tent. Seldom had she found comfort anywhere but Jaime's arms and now she was forbidden to ever rest again. The gods were cruel cruel beings indeed. The princess tried to focus on the owls and crickets and the sigh of trees in an attempt to lull herself to sleep. It did no good and Rhena huffed in frustration.

When the sound of her rustling sheets silenced, she could make out the faroff sound of thundering hooves. Rhena lay still for a moment more as she listened to the sound grow before she decided that laying in her nightgown was not a wise choice while a possibly animus party made their way towards the Lannisters. She donned herself in red wool breeches and a tunic which fell over her swollen belly. Pants were a comfort that she had missed since her departure from Casterly Rock. Being the daughter of a king came with every disadvantage that one would expect. Including wearing itchy dresses.

A gold hilted sword gifted to her by Rhaegar was gripped in a tight fist as she made her way to the tent flap. The air outside was warm but when the wind blew, it chilled her skin and goose flesh broke out along her arms. The guards outside of her tent stared at her sudden appearance before their expressions turned back to stone.

"What's going on, Ser Callan?" Rhena asked the man to her right. His eyes slid from the forest before them to the woman beside him before he answered.

"I'm not sure your highness." Callan was a nice man from Casterly Rock. His mother was a maid under Joanna's services and his father was a barn worker who still worked for the Lannisters back in the west. He had squired Tywin for a time and was rewarded handsomely after saving his lord from a fell blow during the massacre against the Castameres. He was one of House Lannisters most trusted warriors. "Lord Tywin's left his tent armored and armed just a moment before you. I advise that you stay inside for the remainder of the ordeal. At least until the uncertainties are settled."

Rhena smiled in appreciation for the man. "Thank you but I would much rather see how this plays out if you don't mind accompanying me?" Rhena said if only to ease his nerves.

Callan sighed and glanced at the man beside him, a knight by the name of Daron Beryl. "I suppose that's alright. As long as you're armed." Rhena held up her sword with a smile. "Fine common, let's go." He turned back to Beryl and sighed. "Stay by the tent will you? I'll get the princess out if everything goes to the hells."

Beryl nodded and stayed behind while Rhena followed Callen through the Lannister camp. The sound of hooves were growing closer and as she passed Kevan's tent she could hear him commanding some squire to grab his sword with haste. Tywin stood just feet ahead of her with most of the Lannister company which had come with them from King's Landing.

The night was still dark and Rhena could hardly make out the faint glow of torchlight through the trees of the forest around them. She lost herself in the deep dark of the night and failed to hear Tywin's questioning.

"-na Rhena!" Rhena was brought back to the present with a shake to the shoulder. She looked to her father by law with wide surprised eyes and was met with steel. "What are you doing out here?" He asked sharply.

Rhena struggled to gather her words. "I was only-" Tywin cut her off.

"Trying to get yourself killed?" He turned to Callan. "Take her back to her tent and don't let her leave until I give the word." Rhena's eyes filled with fury as she prepared a retort but was cut off once again. "You are the only hope that the Lannisters have right now," His voice was soft now, almost caring if she concentrated enough. "I need you safe and I need your son safe. You're both no good to us if you're struck down in battle."

Rhena snapped her fingers. It was a trick that her mother had taught her long ago. 'Imagine your anger my sweet Rhena.' Rhaella's voice rang through her head. 'Imagine pushing it down from your head and from your chest into your arms. Push it down till it reaches the ends of your fingers and,' snap, 'Break it with your hands.'