33| Wedding

My phone was taken away from me for the entirety of summer break. Also, I wasn't allowed to meet up with my friends. Not even Eunha! That just went too far. I know that I misbehaved, but separating me from Eunha was just cruel. I needed her cuteness to get through my days and that became more apparent during this break.

I was mostly ignoring my brothers, especially Hector and Silas. I can't stay mad long at Theo and the same went for him. He forgave me after giving me a scolding and noticing how upset I was. He then proceeded to promise me that once I turn twenty that I'll be allowed to date. I can't wait that long!

Daniel and I really worked. We had a lot of common interests. He was thoughtful and nice. He was like a golden retriever. That type of boyfriend.

I didn't think that I'd like it that much, but I did.

So I was very sad when I had to break up with him. It was my first breakup and I didn't even get to decide it.

While I stayed in my room, I thought a lot about what Dahlia had told me. I had to find the one who has power over my brothers. At first, it felt impossible and I guessed she just spat out some philosophical bullshit. But then, the day before Theo's wedding, it all made sense.

Mama.

She'd planned the entire wedding, mostly because she couldn't stand Arianna's mother. Of course, nonna and zia Angela helped. I found her in our living room talking Theo through last-minute details. The wedding was going to be big and the event of the year. I've seen the venue and it was absolutely breathtaking, almost like a fairy tale. When I get married one day, I want my mom to plan it as well.

She was very talented.

"Baby, you should be in bed. It's already late." she smiled when she spotted me.

It was only ten in the evening, but we had to get up early in the morning. Still, I needed to talk to her.

"I need to talk to you. It's important."

Theo kissed mom's cheek and let us be. Mom opened her arms for me and I fell into them. She caressed my hair and I stayed in her embrace for a while. I'd practised all that I was going to tell her, but it came out as a sobbing mess once our eyes met. She watched me with concern as she listened to me.

I wasn't just hurt that I had to break up with Daniel, but that I wasn't allowed something so trivial. I was upset that they didn't even listen to me and kept limiting me.

"You really like this boy?" mom asked.

"For almost two years, but it's not just that. Why can't I make the decisions? They keep ruling me around as if I don't have a voice."

She nodded and cupped my face softly.

"You're right, baby. I'm not trying to justify their actions, but your brothers love you so much."

"But they're hurting me."

She wiped away my tears and kissed my forehead.

"If you trust that Daniel is a good guy and if you want to date him, I'll allow it."

My mouth fell open in shock. I just wanted my mom to scold my brothers for being impossible. I didn't expect this but I was so grateful to her.

"What about-"

"Don't you worry about it, baby! I'll make them behave," she told me sternly.

And she would because my mom had actual power over my brothers.

////////////////////

The ceremony was beautiful, despite the fact that Ariana looked like she was about to vomit. Her brother walked her down the aisle. He whispered something to her before giving her to Theo. I don't know what he had said but it made her pale.