Chapter 5

I checked the time after Audree left and realized I had to get going to the train as well. I met Mum, Dad, and James back at the Leaky Cauldron.

The owl James picked for me was a gorgeous light brown with adorable fluffy feathers and an intricate pattern trailing down its back. Juno, I decided her name was. I begged my parents to let Juno fly around for a moment, so we all watched in awe as she circled the air above in a swift motion.

"Mum," James complained. "This owl is faster than Earl."

I stifled a laugh as Mum tried to explain (again) that I needed a faster owl than he did in case I had to write quickly about my illness.

Next, she excitedly showed me the extensive assortment of books she acquired, and Dad handed me a small sack of money from Gringotts.

After I showcased my new robes, we exited the pub, emerging into the Muggle world. We took a small train from the nearby Muggle station to Kings Cross. The ride was only a few minutes long, but we still saw lots of strange Muggles, many of them off to school as well. They are strange folk. They wear their trunks on their backs.

When we got to Kings Cross, we rushed over to the wall between platforms 9 and 10.

"You first, Addy," Mum said.

I nodded and excitedly propelled my trunk through the wall. The familiar rush of adrenaline that came as I magically transported to Platform 9 3/4 felt different now that I knew I wasn't going to come back through the portal for months.

Mum was already crying when she got through the portal. She was also smiling, though, so I couldn't tell if her tears were of joy or sadness. Probably both.

The train tooted its horn, signaling ten minutes until its departure. Dad gave me a hug while Mum bid farewell to James.

"It's your time now, Addy," he promised. "You've heard all my Hogwarts stories. Now it's time to make your own."

A grin spread across my face. Mum gave James a big hug and then pulled me into one too.

"I'm so, so excited for you, darling," she said.

"I love you both!" I responded.

"I'll miss you guys," James said.

Mum made sure we had everything we needed for the hundredth time, then issued her final goodbye."Write us all the time, and don't get into too much trouble. Addy, tell us right away if you feel sick at all. Madame Pomfrey will help you, too. She's a dear. Have such a splendid time, my loves!"

She choked the words out through tears. I could tell it was hard for her to say goodbye to both of her children for the first time.

James and I walked toward the train together, but I kept glancing back to our parents.

I looked down at my feet and watched them take me away from everything I knew. I suddenly realized I couldn't possibly live somewhere without my parents. The true extent of my new situation was finally falling on my shoulders. I stopped in my tracks, positive I wouldn't be going any closer to the train.

Noticing my change in behavior, James bent down next to me. He adjusted his glasses, a sign that he was serious. It would have made me laugh if I wasn't so close to screaming.

"It's scary," he said. "But I promise, everything will be okay. I'm not going to leave you. Come on, let's go get a crate to ourselves before they all fill up."

Those few words meant more to me than anything in the world. I was so grateful to have him here with me. I felt so bad he had to complete this journey alone, especially at only 11 years old. I took James' hand and we boarded the train together.