47 ∞ Dreaming Memories

Start from the beginning

Grateful for the comfort the voice offered her, she listened, and a new awareness came to her. Wanting to express her gratitude, she projected thoughts to the voice.

Thank you for helping me, Canaisis.

«I'm glad to hear you, Ayla. We feared for you greatly.»

He carries such a burden, so much suffering. My heart breaks for him.

«As does mine, Ayla. I'm partly to blame—he lives because I asked him to. Am I being selfish?»

Life offers him the chance to find new happiness—death is final. No, you've done no wrong. I don't understand, though... His pain should have faded with time. He's sailed with you for so long. You're both legends. You've helped so many people, yet his pain remains fresh.

«The Mission is what keeps him alive, Ayla. His need to see Humanity's survival succeed after seeing its near-extinction. But his pain, that's because he refuses to set it aside.»

I wish I could talk to him, Canaisis. One last time.

«You will. You'll need some more time, but your mind can now handle the strain of your Gift.»

You mean I'm not dying?

«No, Ayla,» Canaisis' voice expressed love in its tone, «you'll awaken. This is my proof to you.»

The sudden sensation of her own body filled Ayla, almost overwhelming her. As if she was only pretending to be asleep, she was aware of her surroundings and the warmth of Gareth's presence next to her. She heard his breathing as his hand stroked her hair away from her face. She wished she could move, speak, even open her eyes to let him know he did not need to worry. But that was beyond her.

She felt his palm rest against her cheek, calloused but warm. A moment later, she would have jumped if she could move when his arms scooped under her and lifted. Her body rose, then settled against his chest. He gently held her tight as he started walking.

Content, Ayla enjoyed the sensations, the rocking at each step, until they faded. Slowly she returned to the blackness, cherishing the warmth she had felt in Gareth's arms.

«Thank you, Canaisis,» she spoke to the dark.

«I'm with you, Ayla.»

«There's more.»

«Only you can decide that. Will you Journey deeper?»

«I know there's more. I need to help him.»

«He holds his pain close, Ayla. To help him, you need to understand him.

«I fear for him and have done all I can. But I fear for you as well. All you have seen will come to the fore when you awaken. You were Lost in your Journey—that is a precious price to pay. Would you risk another Journey?»

«After all I've seen him suffer, I will not let him carry his burden alone. My Journey has not ended. I need to see his pain.»

«If this is your path, then let me help show you what you must see. In helping him, you'll help yourself.»

«I don't understand, Canaisis.»

«Listen to the breath of wind... Be still and hear... Here is no danger... No need for fear... Follow... The wind knows the way... Follow the wind, follow the path.»

The blackness grew heavier. She gave herself to it and let go of all thought, carrying the memory of the Captain's warmth with her.

Many hours had passed since the three Nilex members sat to wait in the hallway. Ahmid's buttocks were numb, and his back ached as he sat with arms wrapped around his knees. Lina and Nura sat at the opposite wall, leaning on each other. They had their eyes closed and appeared to be napping. He envied them that, but he couldn't relax enough to rest his eyes, so he just stared at the door that separated them from Ayla. He'd stared for so long that the image imprinted upon his mind.

The constellation of Canaisis.

Diamonds marked each star, and they twinkled in the light whenever he shifted his position. But now they were twinkling without him moving.

Ahmid blinked. It took a moment before he registered the door opening without a sound.

He scrambled to his feet. This alerted Nura who nudged Lina with her shoulder. The women rose, and together they waited as the large blast door slowly swung open. Beyond, Ahmid glimpsed the star-speckled ceiling of the massive room just before it faded to a solid black. A steady, muted tapping came from within the darkened room. Then he saw Captain Levant emerge from the shadows, walking towards them, Ayla hanging limply in his arms. He looked regal as his half jacket swayed with each step, the sound of his boots tapping the floor growing louder.

Ahmid's heart skipped a beat, fearing the worst. Nura reached out and gripped his arm, and Lina stepped beside him and grabbed his other hand. Together they reached out to Ayla, to her essence, feeling for her life.

It was there.

They breathed a collective sigh of relief and rushed toward the Captain as he halted inside the threshold.

"Is she going to be alright?" Ahmid asked, looking into the Captain's eyes. Ahmid saw incredible fatigue and realized the Captain was standing by stubbornness alone. But despite that, the man mustered a reassuring half-smile.

"Canaisis says it went well, and that Ayla's already getting stronger."

The three broke out into smiles. Nura reached out and laid a hand on Ayla's shoulder, closing her eyes. The Captain observed her with interest. After a moment, Nura looked up at him with a huge smile, then turned to Lina. "She's aware of me, Lina! I can reach her!"

Lina had been staring at Gareth, but hearing Nura's excitement made her lunge forward to place her hand over Nura's. Both women closed their eyes.

Ahmid waited, a sense of hope filling him. He couldn't help but notice the Captain's eyes—they held a steel resolve as he waited with patience, looking down at the two women. Lina opened her eyes and jumped up to hug the taller woman, knocking Nura back a step. "You're right! I can feel her, too!"

The Captain stepped back a step, a protective gesture as if fearing for Ayla. But he seemed unsure of his footing, and his face had gone flat.

"Here, Captain," Ahmid said, rushing up to take Alya into his arms, "I'll help." Ahmid sensed the Captain's pain and exhaustion when their arms brushed.

Lina and Nura both came around to help, but mostly to rest their hands on Ayla's dangling arm and legs. They wanted to feel again for themselves how Ayla was doing. Ahmid turned to carry her into the hallway where the transport plate waited. The women followed, and as he laid Ayla down, they helped position Ayla's limbs.

Ahmid looked down upon Ayla and noted she had more color to her face. He was about to point that out when he saw a second transport plate coming down the hallway toward them. Lina and Nura noticed he'd stopped moving, and they followed his gaze.

The plate drifted up to them and halted. Puzzled, Ahmid turned around to question the Captain, but the Captain was no longer standing.

"Captain!"

The women gasped as Ahmid rushed to the Captain who collapsed just inside the blast door threshold.

≈ ∞ ≈

©2020-2022 by kemorgan65 and RavenRock2112