9

I don't know if I've said this, but I would like to remind everyone that everyone is around 19-20 throughout this!!!! 

Also, I had an idea last chapter that I hadn't planned for (Alex coming up in the box) so if this chapter seems not-as-planned-out, that's because I don't even know what's gonna happen next. Again, this drifts far from what James Dashner has said about the maze and glade, so please just be kind and remember that I'm taking some creative liberties and mixing up everything. 

Warning: Panic attack!

"What do you remember?" Alby says harshly, pacing around.

We're in the maze room, the only place where we could find some peace and quiet. We tried to go to the homestead, but the walls were deemed too thin and the rooms too tiny.

I'm sitting on a stool, head in my hands. The one scene replays in my mind.

"Alex? Where are you?"

"I have to leave. Please remember me."

A hand pressed into mine. A red mark on the neck. A boy hugging me.

I rack my brain, trying to find something that comes before or after that. But that's all I remember.

"Y/n, Ana, and uh... someone named Joan." Alex rattles off.

Alex is sitting on a stool right next to me, hand hovering over my back. Newt leans against a wall, glaring at Alex.

"And why can't anyone else remember anything?"Alby asks.

Alex shrugs, "I don't know, bro! I only just got here."

"Y/n." Alby's attention is directed to me and my head whips up, "What do you remember?"

"Asking where Alex was going. Him telling me it'll be alright and telling me not to forget him." Newt shifts and he crosses his arms, "Someone holding hands or something?" I continue, "A red mark against his neck." I gesture towards Alex, "And a boy hugging me. But I don't remember who it was."

Alby nods, seemingly pleased with my answer, "And what about you Newt?"

"Me?" Newt looks shocked, "What does this have to do with me?"

"The only reason you're here is that you're second-in-command and that Clint told me that you might remember something."

Newt curses softly and I'm glad that Ana isn't here.

"I don't remember anything." Newt says firmly, "I just think that Y/n looks oddly familiar."

"She should." Alex scoffs.

"What does that mean?" Both Newt and I say at the same time.

Alex glances at Alby but doesn't say anything. Alby glares at him, and he looks pretty intimidating, but Alex still remains silent.

"Alright." Alby growls, "What do remember? All of it."

Alex sighs, but says, "I'll warn you, I don't remember a lot, but I'll tell you what I do. All I remember is two relationships, meeting Ana and Newt, and...." He chokes up and stops talking.

"What?" I ask carefully.

"I just remember you." Alex turns to me and looks at me dead in the eye, "And your screaming. You were screaming and it was terrible and I couldn't do anything about it. Bloodcurdling screams."

Newt flinches and edges closer to us.

"And Ana?" I whisper, "You said 'Is this Ana?' What did you mean by that?"