1

Newt pov

I hear the alarm that signals the box coming up. Everyone's head snaps up. The Greenie alarm. Interesting. I think, It should have come up much earlier. Wonder if there was some complications with the creators.

I hurry towards it, along with the other boys. I hear snippets of conversation, each about what they think the new greenie is going to be like.

"Alright, out of the way." Alby and I push through the boys. A couple of boys help open the box up and as it slowly opens, we all pause.

A loud wailing sound comes from the box, like crying.

Gally smirks, "Looks like the greenie's going to be a crybaby."

I hum in disagreement, "I don't think that's what it is." I jump down into the box, along with Gally and Alby.

A baby sits there, in the middle of the box. A two year old. I look towards Alby, mouth agape. He looks just as confused and worried.

"How in the bloody hell are we going to take care of a baby?" I ask, "We're a bunch of teenage boys!"

The baby wails louder, so I pick it up. I cradle it closer to me, rocking slightly.

The baby starts to calm down, and I'm about to climb back out of the box when Gally says, "I think you might want to see this."

I turn back to him and see he's crouching over another figure.

"Two greenies?!" Alby murmurs, "And one of them's a child? What were the creators thinking?"

"Is he awake?" I ask Gally.

"Well first off," He says, turning to look at me, "It's not a he."

***

Gally and Alby set the teenage girl on the ground. Shouts come from the rest of the gladers, each jostling to get a good look at her.

Alby moves back to me. We exchange a look, and I know we're both thinking the same thing. Our world just got a whole more complicated.

I'm still holding the baby, and Alby reaches for it. "Can I?"

I purse my lips but hand it over.

"What do you think?" Alby asks, cradling the child and looking down at it, "Girl or boy?" I shrug and cock an eyebrow at him.

"Well, I'm not looking!" He exclaims.

"Is she breathing?" I direct my attention back to the unconscious girl.

"Yeah." Clint responds, checking her pulse.

Some of the other boys are down in the box and they call our attention. "Hey!" One of them yells out, "What do ya reckon this is for?" He holds up a diaper.

Alby swings his head to look at me, "Let's hope that when that girl wakes up, she'll know what to do about this one." He lifts the baby in his arms a bit.

I hum in agreement, staring at the girl on the ground. She has h/l h/c hair that's splayed on the ground, and s/c skin. I tilt my head. I can't shake the feeling that she seems familiar.

Just then, the girl shoots upright. Everyone backs away as she looks around frantically. "Where is she?!" She yells, looking around at all of us. She quickly gets to her feet. "Where's Ana?!"

Her head whips around to Alby and me and her gaze drops to the baby in Alby's arms. She looks back up at Alby and her eyes hold fire.

"Give her to me." She says in a low voice, a hand held out. Her jaw is clenched and wisps of hair fall over her face, "Give her to me right now."

I can't deny that she looks really hot.

Alby glances at me, and I see that he's contemplating on what to do.

"Hey." I decide to step in and her eyes lock onto mine, "I'm Newt. You're in the Glade right now. Why don't you calm down and we can answer all of your questions."

"I don't have any questions." She snarls, "I just want my sister back."

"Your sister?" Alby asks, "Do you remember anything else?"

The girl stares at him, seeming to try and figure out if this is a trick. "No." She says slowly, "But give her to me."

Alby slowly hands Ana over to her sister and the girl visibly relaxes, "Oh thank god." She breaths. "Now." She looks up at the rest of us, "Don't you dare move."

She takes a knife out of a sheath around her leg and points it at Alby and me, "I don't who the hell you people are, but I am not about it sit around and not do anything about this crap."

"What the bloody hell are you doing?" I ask, "We want to help you!"

"I don't need any help!" The girl screams, "I just need to protect her!" She gestures to Ana, who seems content in her arms, oblivious to the screaming, "And right now, everyone here seems like the biggest threat!" She starts to back up, out of the circle of boys.

Then the walls start to close, and the grinding noise fills the Glade. The girl's head whips towards it, and a spark lights in her eyes.

"No!" I shout right before she takes off running towards the doors.

Everyone starts to chase after her, and I see Minho and Thomas start to catch up to her, but right before they can, she slips through the crack in the walls, and into the maze.

"Fuck."