Chapter 16 ~ Oh, did you now?

~Y/n's POV~

I'm running, running as if my life were on the line. And there I see him. I see, Tommy. I fail to resist throwing my arms around him, as I practically tackle him to the ground, with both my arms around the back of his neck.

"Tommy, you did it!" I yell in excitement. It's official. L'manburg is now independent. And all thanks to my brother. It's all over the place and it's all people can talk about. My brother has won L'manburg's independence.

I don't notice it, but Wilbur had followed right behind him and saw the whole thing, as I tackled my healing brother to the ground. "You don't wanna get to rough with him yet. He can barely walk." I chuckle and get up, pulling Tommy along with me.

"How'd you do it?" I ask. Although it's the latest news, no one knows how he did it. "I gave up my discs." Tommy said, disappointingly. He doesn't seem to be as enthusiastic as he usually is. "Discs?" I question.

"Cat and Mellohi. 2 of Tommy's most prized possessions." Wilbur replied. I look back at Tommy to find a look of sorrow, but I know he's proud. He did what he had to do for L'manburg and that only makes me admire him more.

"Hey, Tommy." He looks up from his shoes, staring right at me. "That was very brave of you." I know what it's like having to give up something you love. It isn't easy, but if you're willing to give it up then you probably love something else more, unless you have no choice.

In his case it was L'manburg. He was either gonna let us lose our home or his discs. "You did what you had to do and I'm proud of you for that, Tommy." I wanna make him at least feel better. I know he'll get over it, but it'll take some time.

We may have lost the war, but Tommy won everything else with his heart. I look away from Tommy and come to face with Wilbur instead, as Tommy begins to walk away sorrowfully to his house. "Does that mean we're safe?" I ask him.

Not from curiosity, but because of the scheduled plan I have at 8pm tonight. And maybe more to come. "No." He said, firmly with no hesitation at all. I look at his face, searching for any kind of change in mind, but nothing.

I'm pretty sure he hit my heart a little, as it starts to ache. I haven't told him about Dream and I's accidental meetups, but I assume he still wouldn't be okay with it. I wanna agree with him, seeing that I barely knew Dream.

The first time I spoke to him was only less than a week ago, but as much as I try, I can't. I can't agree with Wilbur because I've seen things he hasn't. I wanna say Dream's a bad person, but I can't. And I don't think I ever will.

"I don't trust Dream." He says, looking through the gates, into the horizon as the sun starts to set. "You never know what he has in mind. He's impossible to read." He's wrong. Because I read Dream last night, but he doesn't have to know that.

"I told Tommy we wouldn't have to patrol the gates at night anymore, but now that I think of it, I think we should." He continues and my heart no longer hurts. I like the idea of patrolling, especially tonight.

"Can I go tonight? I wanna be the first to patrol an independent country." I say, jumping up and down as if I were excited, which I am, but not for the reason I just told him. "Well, if you're going on patrol, you should probably go now. The sun had fully set already." He tells me, smiling.

I smile back and pace to the house to grab my armor.

<<Time skip>>

I'm running again. As if my life were on the line. A torch in my hand and Dream's pocket watch and letter in the other, I ran as fast as I could. And I probably shouldn't have left the gates without anyone watching, but most nights there would be little to no mobs at all.