1

(Chapter 1)

The gentle breeze blows by with the sound of the ocean crashing against the cliff. The grass swayed gently with the wind. Grian laid dormant on the ground, too tired to want to move. His eyes opened halfway as he gazed at his empty surroundings. There wasn't anyone around, at least as far as he could see. He knew he had to keep going, he had to get up. The underlying problem that restricted him, however, was the mental and physical toll that travelling between 3 dimensions entails. He struggled to get up at first, but he was able to settle on his knees. Grian looked around his surroundings, he was placed near the edge of a cliff, with some trees behind him. The builder shakily got to his feet and although exhausted, began to hastily explore the area. It would be best if he could find out if this world spawn was on an island or not and he preferred if it wasn't. And as if the universe hates him, of course it was an island. Grian had already explored the entire island and it was barely midday, eventually deciding to go back to the spawn area. He wasn't expecting anything new, and it was certainly a surprise to see what looked to be a nether portal where he woke up just a couple of hours ago. He kept his distance, just in case whoever came out of the portal wasn't exactly the nicest person.

He waited.

And waited.

And eventually someone came out.

They wore armor and a helmet that obscured their face. They stepped out of the portal frame as they held their head, disorientated from the sudden dimension shift. The two stared at each other for a moment before Grian waved at the stranger, "Hi, you won't hurt me won't you?"

The two remained in awkward silence after Grian spoke, which made him feel even more nervous for even speaking out. The stranger seemed to examine Grian, their curiosity didn't have a sense of malice behind it though, only really pure curiosity. In return, Grian looked awkwardly at them. Their eyes looked to be purple, though he couldn't say for sure as the glass on the helmet was tinted. After all, it could've just been the colored glass that made them look purple. It still gave Grian suspicions though. They snapped their fingers as if everything finally clicked for them and finally broke the ice between them. Grian wasn't expecting someone who was kitted out with armor to sound so kind. "You're Grian, yeah? I'm surprised you got here before me-"

Grian looked confused, was he supposed to know them? "Um. Who are you exactly?"

"Xisuma???" Now this got Xisuma equally as confused as Grian, "Did you not see the invitation I sent to you a couple weeks ago about joining Hermitcraft?"

Wait, what invitation? Grian paused for a moment to recall. The more he thought about it, he finally recalled an envelope, but he hadn't opened it at all. Then again, he hasn't opened any sort of mail for a while. "Oh, oH OH yeah! I remember the invitation!"

Xisuma looked off put by Grian, but he set his feelings aside as he had to go get the rest of the Hermits. He pointed back at the portal, "Right, ok, I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere, I have to get the others!"

Grian nodded and watched as Xisuma walked back into the purple portal. The hum of the portal increased in volume as he did before gradually died down as the admin disappeared. Grian waited, the only thing he could do was wait and listen. Listen to the portal gently hum and hear the distant crashing of the waves. He ruffled his own hair; a lot has happened since he arrived on this starter island, and he couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen soon though. The worst part of it is that he didn't know who to trust.

Stuck in his scattered thoughts, he didn't even notice that Xisuma returned with the rest of the Hermits. He heard a couple people incoherently talking and collected his thoughts. It took him a moment to process the amount of people that came out the obsidian framed portal and was taken aback. He didn't expect there to be this many people. The majority of these so-called Hermits were human, however there were a handful of hybrids and mobs. A couple he could make out for sure was a slime and a zombie, maybe even a creeper? There was a lot going on and combined with previous events, it only mentally overwhelmed Grian. Amidst the crowd of new people and faces, he was able to spot a familiar one—Mumbo Jumbo. Although it's been a handful of years, how could he not recognize someone as tall, dapper, and also have a moustache like Mumbo? As soon as most of the chatter died down, Xisuma took the chance to overpower his fellow Hermits and introduce Grian.