Caught

Dalia's POV

After a nice, long nap, we finally made it to Oklahoma. I was relieved I wasn't making anymore long train rides across the country anymore.

At least I hope so.

Dallas was obviously still mad, but Dalton pulled him aside and talked to him. God knows about what or if it's what I think it is, but he didn't bring it up again.

Well... until...

"Alright, who the hell is fucking my sister?" Dallas asked as soon as he opened the door to the Curtis' house.

I felt my face get red as all eyes were on me. "Nobody, Dallas. I just said it to make you mad." I said turning away from everyone.

"It's not you," Dallas said looking at Johnny. "Its not you guys," Dallas said to Ponyboy and Darry, still examining the room.  "And I'm positive it's not you." He finished with Two-Bit. "So who's doing it?" Dallas said walking up to Steve and Sodapop.

"I was lying, I promise." I said trying to get Dallas' attention away from the guys.

"No you weren't. You crack your knuckles when you lie." He looked to my hands and I pulled them apart. To be fair, I didn't even know I did that.

"So who is it?" He asked, looking back at the guys.

"Come on, Dal. Let it go for now." Dalton said.

I saw Dallas roll his eyes and walked out with Dalton. They told me to grab my stuff and get moving. "I'm not hooking up with anyone in this room. Or anyone in general." I said quickly before grabbing my bag and leaving.

Dallas and I drove Dalton to the train station and he was ready to go back home to Windrixville. It hurt seeing him leave again, even though, this time I'd be able to see him again. Part of me kinda hoped he'd stay back in Tulsa instead. But I guess he has a life of his own.

Dallas and I went back to Buck's. I negotiated a room down the hall from Dallas. But I've gotta find a job or something. This isn't gonna work forever.

A couple days went by and my life seemed to actually be looking up. Like I had something to live for, y'know?

But what goes up must come down.

"Hey." I said walking up to the DX.

"Hey, Dalia. Whatcha up to?" Steve asked.

"I'm just wandering. Don't got much to do today; so, I figured I'd come here."

"Well, there's not much going on here either." Sodapop said with a laugh.

I grinned. Dallas still hasn't found out about Soda yet. I planned to keep it that way.

"I'm gonna run over to the store over there. Y'all want anything?" I asked.

"I'm good, thanks." Steve said.

"I think I'm good. But I'll come with ya, anyway." Sodapop said with a cocky grin.

"Alright." I said, laughing. "Let's go."

We quickly walked across the street and into the small store.

"How's Dallas doing?" Sodapop asked.

"He's... well... normal I guess."

"Are we really gonna keep this a secret forever?" He asked looking down at me as I grabbed a snack off the shelf.

"I dunno. We can't. I mean, he knows. I know he does, even if it doesn't seem like it. And even then, I can't keep it a secret from him forever. Forever is a long time, y'know."

"That's what I'm saying. How do you think it's gonna play out?" He asked.

"Well, I guess only time can tell us that." I said with a fake smile.

He laughed and bent down to kiss me. He pressed his lips on mine and smiled at me. We both looked at the shelf one more time and I felt a force come between us.

"I fucking knew it!" Someone yelled.

I looked up quickly to see Dallas facing Sodapop.

Uh oh.

"Dallas, what are you doing here?"

"You bet your ass I'm gonna head over to your brothers right now." Dallas said, completely ignoring my question.

"Dally, come on. You got it all wrong." I said following him out the door, leaving the snacks I had on the shelf.

"You stay away from each other, you understand me?" Dallas said, glaring at me dead in the eye.

"Dallas, listen. Please, you don't get it."

"I understand completely." He said, still facing away from me.

"How many girls have you hooked up with?" I asked, plainly.

"That's none of your business." He said.

"Exactly! So who cares if I slept with one person! You've probably done it fifteen times! And it wasn't even a hookup! It's not like I was drunk!" I yelled.

"I gotta get back to work." Sodapop whispered. "I'll talk to ya later."

I sighed and continued to follow Dallas, begging him not to tell Darry or Ponyboy.

"Why did you do it?" Dallas finally asked.

I didn't recognize where we were at. I thought I had a good layout of the town, but I couldn't recognize any of the buildings.

"Are we even still in Tulsa?" I asked, looking around.

"Answer my question." He said, getting more intimidating by the second.

"I-I don't know. We were by ourselves and I told him about New York and this is a really weird conversation." I said, trailing off.

"Answer the question and we can move on."

Dallas scared me. But so did talking about my life. I didn't know what was worse. "It just happened. I don't really have a good reason for it except for the fact I've always been by myself. So I guess I kinda just felt like I actually had someone. And I know it sounds corny, but-"

He cut my off. "Just be safe, please. Look, now that I'm done with New York for good, I gotta keep you out of trouble or we're going back."

Selfish, as usual. I wasn't sure what I expected.

"And... don't grow up too quickly. Please."

He almost sounded sincere.

"I won't..." I mumbled.

"I'm not gonna tell Darry. As long as you promise it won't happen again. Or at least I won't find out about it."

I laughed. "I promise. Thank you." I said, excitedly.

I hugged him and it caught him by surprise. I know he hated, but I didn't care. I actually felt happy for once in my life.