Arrested

Dalia's POV

"So you hate New York, right?" Ponyboy asked.

"Correct." I said refusing to make eye contact.

"Then why do you stay here?"

"Cause it's my home. I live here. I have an actual life here."

"Dallas picked up and left." Two-Bit said. "You can do it, too."

"I don't want to. I find it hard enough to live on my own up here as it is. Moving and starting over would make it a lot harder."

"Again, Dallas did it-"

"Just because we have the same last name doesn't make us the same person!" I yelled. They all went quiet. "I'm staying in New York, and that's final."

"That doesn't even make sense." Dallas started. "You came all the way to Tulsa to find me and you don't even wanna stay there?"

I laughed. "Don't flatter yourself. I came to find you to convince you to stay up here. I was selfish! I want you to stay here so people don't think I'm a psychotic murderer. So nice try, but I can live without you." I said, rolling my eyes.

He groaned. "What if Dalton was there? You'd follow him." I picked up a rock and threw it at him. "Hey! What the hell?"

"Shut up! Unlike you, Dalton cared about me. So keep his name outta your mouth!" I yelled.

We finally made it to the apartment building and I made sure to slam the door in Dallas' face. I saw police cars outside the building which made me, and I'm sure everyone else nervous. But it wasn't uncommon for this part of town.

I walked up the stairs and stopped when I saw the police were coming from our apartment. "Huh..." I mumbled.

I walked slightly faster up to the door. "Excuse me, officer. W-What's going on?" I asked.

"This is a private matter between me and the owners of the apartment." He said.

"I-I live here. This is my house. My bedroom is the first door on the right! My brother's room is the second door on the right. My parents room is the only door on the left. What's going on?" I asked, desperately.

"Can I have a name?"

"Dalia Winston. My brother Dallas Winston." I said pointing to him.

He sighed. "Your parents are being taken into custody for possibly murdering a 17 year old boy by the name of Dalton Winston." He said.

I felt my heart shatter.

My parents... murder... Dalton.

I felt my hands go numb and eventually my head was still. My heart was beating out of my chest.

No...

No, no, no...

He can't be...

Everything started to spin. Everything was blurry. Suddenly, everything went black.

Dallas' POV

This doesn't make sense. That's impossible... Dalton's not dead... How can they be arrested for something they didn't do? I hate them, but I know they didn't kill him...

Sodapop's POV

The officer told us we needed to go back home, but that wasn't so easy for us. "They're visiting from outta state. They're staying with us." Dallas said.

An officer put Dalia on the couch after she passed out. They said she'll be fine. It's just shock. I mean, I understand why she passed out and was shocked. I felt horrible.

The officers got their parents out of the building and agreed to let us stay here. Dallas, Johnny, Steve and Two-Bit slept in Dally's room, Ponyboy and Darry slept in Dalia's room, and I slept on the chair next to the couch Dalia was on. Although it was impossible to sleep on. It was very, uncomfortable.

Dalia's POV

My eyes opened and I had a pounding headache. What happened?

I looked up. I was on my couch. Was this all just some wild and crazy dream? Was I still waiting for Dallas to get up so I could catch him?

I looked around.

Nope.

My leg was still in the compression sock and Sodapop was on the chair next to the couch.

Wait...

Sodapop?

No...

This doesn't make sense.

I rubbed my head and tried to think for a second. I really couldn't remember what happened.

"Dalia?" Sodapop asked.

I looked over at him. "What happened? The last thing I remember is falling asleep on the couch at 2:55 in the morning. I was looking for Dallas. He- He kept leaving. Then I had this dream. But it wasn't a dream. Cause you were in it. And you're here right now."

I stopped rambling. Nothing felt real.

"What was your dream?" Sodapop asked sitting next to me.

"I ran away to Oklahoma to find Dallas, but I was in a fire. And the hospital. And I met you and a bunch of other people. And it wasn't a dream but it felt like it." I looked at the clock. 4:05. "Was I asleep for an hour? Did I miss Dallas?"

I felt like my brain was messing with me. "That wasn't a dream. You did go to Oklahoma. You were in the hospital. But do you not remember what happened a few hours ago?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No. I- the football game. Coach Fenner gave his announcement and I went home. That all happened?" I asked, nervously.

"Yeah, none of that was a dream. It really happened. But what about after you got home. Do you remember that?"

"No... but my head hurts."

"You passed out from shock." Soda said, softly.

"W-Why?" I asked. I was starting to get nervous.

Little bits and pieces of memories came back.

"Dalia, your parents were arrested."

"For what?" I asked. "Drugs? Again? But what about my dad? He doesn't have hardcore drugs like my mom."

"No... Dalia, the police... they think that your parents killed your brother. There's a skeleton of a 17 year old boy found in a lake. It's either Dalton or a kid named Austin. They aren't sure yet. But your parents would be a prime suspect. They're doing an autopsy now. We'll know by next week who it is."

Now I remembered...

Although I wish I didn't.