Home

Dalia's POV

I woke up with my arms wrapped around Soda. It was still dark out and I was tired from last night.

I looked around. We were in the back of his car and the moon was slightly to the left of us.

"Sodapop..." I mumbled. Nothing. "Soda..." I mumbled, again.

"Hmm...?" He said, rubbing his eyes opened.

"What time is it?" I asked.

He opened his eyes fully and we both sat up. He turned on the car and the time appeared in the corner. "4:40." He said.

I sighed. "I need to go. The train leaves in twenty minutes." I mumbled.

He sighed. "Alright. I'll drive ya."

We both quickly got dressed and climbed to the front seat of the car. My eyes were barely able to stay open, but we finally made it to the train station.

"Alright." Sodapop said. "I'll wait with ya until you leave."

I sighed and opened the door. The cold breeze pressed against my body, shocking me a little bit. We sat down on the bench and I rested my head against his shoulder.

The only thing that kept me from falling asleep was the loud whistle coming from the train.

We both looked over. There it was. My way home.

I stood up and Soda did the same. "Well... I guess this is it." He said.

"Don't talk like that." I said with a small laugh. "I'll come back. I mean," I got quieter and leaned in and hugged him, "after last night, I'm not gonna be able to stay away."

I pulled out of the hug and even in the dark I could tell his face was red. I laughed. "You should come to New York some time."

"Yeah, like Darry would ever let me do that." He said with a playful eye roll.

I laughed. "Well... I better get going." I gave him a real hug this time. "See ya later." I said, finally pulling apart.

"Yeah... see ya later." He said, softly.

And that was it. Within minutes, I was on the train and on my way home.

Sodapop's POV

I didn't want her to leave. I really felt bad for her. She has a good time here and then she has to go home to her shitty life.

But I couldn't believe she was related to Dallas!

It shocked me to think Dallas had another life outside of the gang. I knew he did, but it was just weird to think about.

I walked in the door, completely forgetting about Darry and Pony.

"Where the hell have you been?" Darry asked standing up.

"Fuck..." I mumbled. "I was with D-" I stopped before I said her name. "Dee." I said rubbing my forehead.

"What the hell we're you doing till 5:30 in the morning?" Darry asked.

Ponyboy walked out of his room. "Soda? Where have you been?" He asked in shock.

"Look, we went to the drive in and we started driving back here and we got tired so we fell asleep in the car and we parked in the parking lot down the street from the drive in."

Darry sighed. "Go to bed, Soda. We'll deal with this later."

I was A-O-K with going to bed now instead of dealing with Darry. Maybe when I'm in my right state of mind I'll feel better dealing with him.

Dalia's POV

I was asleep for most of the way on the ride home. Soda really got me tired. But when I woke up, I was almost home.

I was back in New York...

I got off the train and got home as quickly as I could. The first thing I wanted to do was shower. I felt disgusting.

It was dark when I got home. It was already night time. It took me forever to shower. Showering without being able to stand up is hard. It's especially harder when it hurts to run your burns under water.

I changed out of my dirty clothes and put on another pair of leggings and a sweatshirt.

I put my hood over my head and my leggings over the compression sock. I walked out of my apartment into the streets of New York.

Here I was again. The polluted sky, dirty parks, musty streets. I felt like I was punishing myself by going to Oklahoma. I had to come back to this hell hole.

I walked to the drug store down the street and got burn cream for my leg. It was disgusting to look at, but the nurse recommended it.

I quickly walked back home and hoped to God I didn't run into anyone that was gonna cause me trouble. I hate living on this side of town.

I got home and locked the door behind me. I didn't hear mom or dad which I was grateful for.

I put the burn cream on and decided I wasn't gonna go to school this week. I might go to school on Friday just so I could go to the football game that night, but for the next couple days, I'm taking it easy.

Finally, I went to bed without any problem falling asleep.

Dallas' POV

I was finally out of the damn cooler. I read the paper. Dalia's out of the hospital. Now I've just gotta find her.

I walked to the Curtis' house and everyone was sitting in the living room. "Where is she?" I asked slamming the door behind me.

They all looked at each other. "Who?" Johnny asked.

"You know exactly who I'm talking about. Where is she."

"You mean, Dee?" Steve asked.

"Sure. Whatever the hell you wanna call her." I said, rolling my eyes. Of course she'd lie about her name.

Everyone stayed quiet. "Hello?" I asked, dumbly.

"She left, Dally." Sodapop said. "She went home to New York, yesterday."

"Are you kidding me?" I yelled.

"No, we're not." Two-Bit said taking a sip of his beer.

"Get the car." I yelled.

"Huh?" Darry asked.

"We're going up to New York. Let's go." I said bolting out the door.