Rumors

Lottie's POV

I didn't like Dalia not being here. It made me nervous. Especially with her brothers and how they just disappeared so quickly.

Dalia disappeared Wednesday. I just took it as a usual day of her skipping school. But then she didn't show up Thursday or Friday and now Monday.

It wasn't like her.

She hates school, but she's never miss more than three days in a row. Hell, she'd never miss more than one day without telling me.

But the rumors started spreading around on Thursday. Everyone in this school knew about it by Friday.

All this stuff about "The Winston Curse" was going around. That was the most popular one, at least. Others thought maybe it was karma for murdering her brothers. There was also a few where it was just her trying to get away from everything. The next most popular one was her running away from bullies.

But I knew that one wasn't right.

Dalia wouldn't ever let someone hurt her. She never let anything truly get to her. If she did I never noticed. She always shrugged it off like it was nothing. Either that or she'd beat them up. So the bullying one was definitely not right.

I waited by her locker just in case she came to school late. But that was also not like her. I was kidding myself.

These two senior boys walked by me talking about her. "Yo, did you hear about those Winston kids? Dallas and Dalia?" He asked.

"Yeah! That's crazy!" The other one said back in a rowdy voice.

"Never in a million years did I ever think Dallas and Dalia could be good people."

What was everyone talking about?

"Oklahoma... so that's where they've been hiding at. I wonder if the oldest one is down there, too. Dalton, right?"

So many people were talking about Dallas and Dalia and Oklahoma. I didn't get it.

I tried to eavesdrop from Dalia's locker but everyone was walking too fast for me to be able to hear a full conversation.

"Lottie!" Someone yelled. I stopped listening to the conversations of everyone walking by me and looked forward.

It was Riley.

As in Riley Adamushik.

As in the Riley who used to be friends with Dalia until she cared more about a football game than her missing brother.

I raised an eye brow. I didn't like her, but I still tried to be nice to everyone. "Can I help you?" I asked crossing my arms.

"Look, I know I'm an asshole. Especially after the whole Dalton thing and football debacle. But is it true? About Dalia and Dallas?" She asked.

"I don't even know what everyone's talking about..." I said, kinda embarrassed. Dalia always told me about everything that went on. She always seemed to know about what was going on.

"Here. I got the copy of the Oklahoma paper." She said, pulling it out of her backpack.

She handed me a printed off paper from Oklahoma...

I started reading...

'DELINQUENT' YOUTHS TURN HEROES AFTER DARING FIRE RESCUE

Tulsa teens, Johnny Cade and Ponyboy Curtis, ran into a burning church to save preschool kids from the fire along with two other people, one known as Dallas Winston and the other (female) unknown.

All three boys have made it out with minor injuries and are now town heroes. The mysterious girl is in the hospital and it is unknown if she is going to recover or not at this moment.

Ponyboy Curtis reunited with his brothers at the hospital on Sunday night around 2:41 in the morning after they travelled all the way from Tulsa to Windrixville to pick him up. After his parents passed away in a tragic auto accident 8 months ago, he has been living with his older brothers, Sodapop Curtis and Darrel Curtis. It is going to be decided by the court if he will be put in a boys home.

Johnny Cade has been taken into custody for the murder of Robert Sheldon and has plans to plead "not guilty" in the acts of self defense. We have no new updates on the case so far.

Dallas Winston has spent his time at the hospital waiting for the girl who nobody has spoken on. He made it out of the church with a few burns up his arm, but otherwise scratch free.

As of Sunday, September 29th, 1965, 4:09 A.M., there are no new updates or information on the girl who ran into the building by herself and saved the kids from the school.

According to Jerry and Grace, the two teachers at the church, said the girl came running up to then and asked what was going on. She deliberately ignored their instructions to stay back and daringly went in the church, putting her own life at risk for the kids. Seconds later, the boys all came up to them and ran in next.

Although, the teachers were not fond of them running in, they are overall very appreciative of the heroes. The parents of the ten kids stuck in the building are extremely grateful for the heroic acts these teens made to save their kids.

Above the article on them were four pictures. The first one had the name "Ponyboy Curtis" underneath and the second had "Johnny Cade" under the photo.

But the next two I could easily recognize.

Next to Johnny Cade was the one and only Dallas Winston. His name was in big bold letters under the picture. Next to him was Dalia...

There was no caption underneath her picture since nobody knew her name.

But Dallas saved kids from the fire? Really? I always thought he hated little kids.

And Dalia! Dalia's a hero, too!

This whole story was bazar. The murder, the heroes, the family situation...

But the most shocking part of it was that Dalia ran in to save someone with Dallas right behind her.

And now she's in the hospital...

What if she doesn't survive?

What if I never see my best friend again?

I looked back up at Riley. "I'm just as shocked as you are." Was all I managed to get out.