40 : if it's the last time

" IF IT'S THE LAST TIME "

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It was amazing how Jiseol could drag out three men all at once. It was something she had to learn over the years when working with men-children.

"Don't we have training today? What are we doing out here?" Wooyoung asked, glancing around the palace garden while following their leader along with the two older assassins.

"Are we having breakfast here?" Mingi, who hasn't eaten breakfast, questioned.

"What?! I just ate!"

"Eat again then," Jiseol stopped, causing the men to look where she was facing. On the grass laid a large plaid picnic blanket with a variety of snacks and refreshments which she had prepared long before the boys woke up.

"Is it my birthday? What's this for?"

"I don't know. I just wanted to surprise you all. You three have been working hard and this is just a little something to express my gratitude and a treat for you all."

The brunette's eyes narrowed, "Something is off."

She laughed, "Just accept it!"

"I know damn well Jiseol from 2 years ago won't do something like this."

"Exactly! That was 2 years ago, people can change. Now sit, let's have our breakfast."

"No, no, Wooyoung has a point. Are you okay?" Yunho asked, but serious this time.

"Oh my God, just sit down! I know you three want to eat."

The men didn't hesitate any further and sat down to start eating, pushing away the worry as Jiseol was able to convince them everything was fine. Though, even if said as a joke, they really were concerned at first because she barely did gestures like this. She was glad they got too occupied with the food and put the thought aside and enjoyed.

That afternoon was spent talking and laughing together. Due to schedules, these moments where they could just relax and forget everything for a while were rare so when they did these things, it's always a memory to treasure. Sometimes even they can't believe they met as mere strangers and now they're telling each other the most embarrassing moments of their lives. Isn't it so cool? How strangers can become someone so important in your life? How someone you didn't know a single thing about is now someone you share some of your happiest moments with?

A simple but recharging activity for the assassins (and king) of Aurora was to laze around at the palace garden gazebo with a cold bottle of beer in hand. San, Yeosang, and Seonghwa sat beside each other, each holding a beer bottle, staring at the youngest and the leader bickering about something only they would know.

"Sometimes I wonder if he really is the second oldest." Seonghwa took a sip of his beer.

"Mhm, and if Jongho really is the youngest."

"OI JOONG! Don't even try and wrestle Jongho, we all know who's arm is going to break." Teased Yeosang.

"Shut up,"

"Ah that's enough," The eldest stood up to try and separate the two.

"Good idea, king! Wanna try, Hongjoong?" Jongho laughed, extending his arm towards the latter.

"Where's the respect?!"

While the two continued to bicker even more as Seonghwa also kept trying to pull them apart, San glanced at Yeosang before putting down his beer.

"Yeo?"

"Hm?"

"Um if ever Eris and I die together, bury us with each other, okay? It doesn't matter where as long as we're side-by-side."

"San, stop."

"Ah, calm down! I only said 'if'."

"Still...."

⇠┅┅┅┅┅┅༻❁༺┅┅┅┅┅┅⇢

When Jiseol accepted her job as an assassin, that also meant giving up complete safety. Another thing Jiseol liked to do was taking chances, just like those other times, right now as she snuck out to the bridge isn't much different. If there was an opportunity and a chance, no doubt she will seize it. It was risky, extremely risky, but anything to see San again right?

Once she had gotten close to the bridge, she didn't see a black messy mullet like usual. Her brows furrowed and walked closer, only for her to regret.

There was her lover, restrained. San looked more than terrified; his hands were tied tightly behind his back while two men she didn't recognize held him by the arms. If that wasn't frightening enough, San also had a sword pointed to his abdomen.

Jiseol's breath quickened as she scanned the men who were there one by one. Once her eyes landed on one specific red head, her face dropped.

"Mingi....?"

a/n: i hope yall forgive me for this 🙏🏻