Dragons of Atlanta: Day Five, final

*Darrel is at the desk again*

Darrel: It's just us four now. The other cells of the IDS, um, collapsed a few weeks ago. The other eight senior members decided to quit.

We've made weapons from anything that's useful. We haven't had a chance to get out and scavenge for food.

*Darrel goes to the window and turns the camera on a group of biped and human-form dragons outside the building*

There are dragon soldiers occupying the neighborhood. I'm going to broadcast this video and any audio messages so survivors with a radio or SugarTablet will know they are not alone. I, I'm broadcasting from a secure line someone gave me over DMs last night. I checked, it's it's legit. I need to find more sugar for my tablet.

Kim: Darrell, come look!

**Rushing from the window, Darrel runs to Kim's side**

Darrell: what the hell is that?

Kim: shine the cam on it. This will make a great home video

Ralph: what are those dragons doing?

Darrell: looks like a giant tower

*Darrel switches the camera around. There are hundreds of ships congregating around a half built structure. Dragons are flying back and forth to the tower, delivering metal, steel, glass, cars, and anything else salvageable to the various construction ships and Hoverlasers. The lasers grind the steel and scrap and turn it into a goo-like substance that sticks onto the spire and expands. Other machines meld metal and steel into the unfinished tower.*

Kim: they're building one of those Portal Towers

Rhonda: a what?

Kim: a portal tower. It serves as a nest for their high ranking sub-species. God help us all if they are building more than one.

*Kim leaves for a second and comes back with a book; The History of Dragon Tech. She flips through it and points at the page*

Kim: this thing

Ralph: that sure does look like it

**Darrell looks around, noticing a missing presence**

Darrell: hey...where's that fat dragon of yours?

Rhonda: Who? Timmy? He's over...

Ralph: where is he?

*Darrell grabs his trusty rifle*

Darrell: that little lizard ain't going to make a lunch of me

Kim: I hear something

Ralph: I hear it too

*there's a hiss, and the dragon jumps on Darrel's back from the ceiling. Darrel's tablet falls, but audio of the attack can still be heard*

Kim: I got him I got him! Shoot him

Rhonda: no don't!

*There's a loud crash*

Kim: STOP IT YOU FUCKING—

*There's a couple of loud gunshots and a loud screech.*

Rhonda: TIMMY NO!

Ralph: Rhonda get back

*There's another hiss; low and gutteral, followed by another gunshot*

Rhonda: Timmy No! No, Timmy!

*Rhonda's loud wailing continues as Kim grabs the tablet and Darrel*

Kim: I knew we shouldn't have taken them in. This is why I never fucking help people outside my friend group

*Kim sighs, then resumes dragging Darrel*

Kim: stupid fucking idiots always getting someone killed

*Kim opens a door and pulls Darrel inside. She takes the camera and switches it around. Her eyes are red, irritated, from holding back the tears.*

*Kim takes a moment to read the comments*

Kim: he's not dead, but he's injured pretty bad. The dragon's claws sunk into his back and made this

*Kim gestures with her hand*

Kim: this, deep gash. I killed that fucking lizard and she's crying over it like as if that thing is her child

*Kim hears a sound and looks left, at the door*

Kim: the dragons outside will have heard that gunshot. We need to move.

*Kim puts the tablet in her bag and it is assumed she picks up Darrel and descends the staircase. Eventually, the feed ends as the tablet's battery dies.*

------STREAM END------

* * *

Darrel opened his eyes, or tried to. His eyes felt mucky and crusty, preventing him from fully opening them.

He heard strange sounds all around him: hisses, low growls, trills

the sounds of dragons

Multiple footsteps approach and stop before him

He's able to open one eye and turn his head upwards to see a biped dragon, fully in its draconic form, was gazing down at him

Beside that dragon was a smaller one, a human in glasses and a lab coat, but the giveaway of its species were the yellow horns on its head.

Darrel's throat is sore. His voice comes out croaky, "where's Kim?"

The dragon with the yellow horns answered, "she's safe, as long as she does what we ask. She will be safe and we won't hurt you."

Darrel pulls his arm, trying to break free.

"You're perfect for what we need you for."

Darrel sighs, "great. I'm dragon fodder now. Just get it over with."

The yellow-horned scientist steps forward, "why sound so blue? I'm not going to kill you. I'm no mad scientist. We just want you to play with our hatchlings. You know, babysit for us."

Darrel tilts his head, "excuse me? You're not joking are you?"

"Nope."

Yellow Horns taps on the console and Darrel is released from the chains. He falls to the cold ground.

Yellow Horns smiles, "I think you'll love it here."