Twenty Eight

Upon arriving in Lima, it took all of Quinn's strength not to go directly to Santana's house. As much as she wanted to see her girlfriend, the holidays were about family, and she wanted to spend some time at home with them first.

The second she opened the door to her house, Frannie engulfed her in a hug. Quinn laughed, losing her balance and dropping a couple of her bags on the floor.

"It's good to see you, Quinn."

"It's good to see you, too."

Frannie suggested that they catch up over some hot chocolate and muffins in the kitchen. Quinn was happy to comply.

Her sister filled her in on all of the happenings at law school, as well as her relationship with Bryan. Quinn recounted her most difficult finals, which she'd passed with flying colors. She then went off on an excited tangent about the recording sessions she was planning to do with Santana for her music school applications.

It felt comforting to talk to Frannie like this. Although they'd had their fair share of fighting as kids, now that they were older, they enjoyed each other's company.

Suddenly, Quinn stopped her rambling. Something was wrong. Why did the house feel so calm?

"Hey, where's Mom?"

"Oh," Frannie replied. "She's away on a last-minute business trip for the next few days. She'll be back for Christmas, though."

Quinn knew she probably should have been disappointed that her mother wasn't around, and that she hadn't bothered to tell her, but she was mostly relieved. Wherever her mother went, a lot of stress and tension followed. These next few days would be bliss.

Their conversation was interrupted by a knock on the door. Quinn's heart hiccuped. Could it be?

"Quinn, if you don't open this door right now, I will kick it down."

Santana.

Quinn dashed to the door, throwing it open and jumping into Santana's arms. If she thought her hug with Frannie was good, this was on another level.

Speaking of Frannie, she was standing beside them, amused by their excitement.

Quinn desperately wanted to kiss Santana, but she couldn't. Not in front of her sister.

Once they were done gushing about how happy they were to see each other, the three girls decided to settle in and watch a Christmas movie. Santana voted for Die Hard, Quinn for a cheesy Hallmark movie, and Frannie for Love Actually. Somehow, the compromise ended up being Elf. I mean, who doesn't like Elf?

Quinn and Santana sat on the couch, Frannie opting for an armchair. The girlfriends shared a blanket, cuddling just enough to pass off as being platonic.  Throughout the movie, however, Santana found great joy in embarrassing Quinn in any way she could.

Beneath the blanket, she casually placed her hand on Quinn's thigh, then slyly slid it up higher and higher. Quinn blushed profusely, shooting her girlfriend a disapproving glance. Santana did her best to stifle her laugh.

She continued to show her affection for Quinn, playing with her hair and helping her wipe off some smudged mascara on her face. Quinn's eyes darted between her girlfriend and her sister each time, but she realized it wasn't worth worrying about. All she wanted was to enjoy their time together.

As per usual, Santana fell asleep halfway through the movie, her head finding its designated place on Quinn's shoulder. The two fit together perfectly.

Once the movie came to an end, Santana reluctantly left, knowing she should spend some time with her family. Quinn and Frannie shared a dinner of Annie's Mac & Cheese, as neither felt like cooking a real meal. It tasted the exact same as when they were kids.

"Frannie?" Quinn said between mouthfuls of creamy pasta.

"Yeah?" Her sister replied, a curious look in her eyes.

"I need to tell you something." There was no backing out now.

Frannie offered a half smile. "You can tell me anything."

Quinn took a deep inhale, then let it come out as a shuddering exhale. She looked up at Frannie's eyes, full of love and absent of judgement. It was time.

"Santana and I aren't just friends." She paused, analyzing Frannie's expression. She continued, "I've liked—loved—her for a long time, and we've been dating since Thanksgiving."

Frannie reached out and squeezed Quinn's hand. "I'm so happy for you, Quinnie. I can tell how much you love each other. And I'm grateful you told me." She handed Quinn a tissue.

Quinn hadn't even noticed she'd been crying.

"Does anyone else know?"

"Just you and my college friends. Also Gracie from the diner and Finn Hudson."

"Your old boyfriend Finn Hudson?"

Quinn shuddered. "Yeah, he walked in on me and Santana making out."

Frannie giggled. "I see."

"Anyway, the point is that you're the only family member who knows. Definitely don't say anything around mom."

"Don't worry. My lips are sealed." She paused. "But can I give you a little advice?"

Quinn shrugged.

"You don't have to come out to mom until you're ready, but once you are, I think she might surprise you. I know she can be a little—set in her ways—but she really loves you, Quinn. I don't want you to have to hide who you are for fear of how she would react."

Quinn nodded, wiping away more tears. "I'll tell her when I'm ready."

"I know you will."

After dinner, Quinn decided to go to bed early, since she was exhausted from traveling. Her face moisturized and her teeth brushed, she laid in the silence of her bedroom, reflecting. Frannie's words kept coming back to her. She might surprise you. She really loves you.

Quinn's relationship with her mother had always been complicated. Ever since she was a toddler, it had been her goal in life to please her mom. At the time, that meant learning her alphabet faster than the other kids. Then, it was about having the best grades, being cheer captain, winning prom queen, and anything else that would make her mom proud. That was how Quinn would get love and attention.

She hadn't realized how unhealthy this relationship was at the time, but looking back now, she shivered at the thought of some of the things she'd done under her mother's influence. Back in the third grade, Quinn's cheer team was going to a national level competition. Quinn was confident that they'd win, but her mother? Not so much. She complained to Quinn about how one girl on the team, Macy, was dragging everyone else down and would cost them the competition.

Quinn, eager to attain her mother's approval by winning the competition, marched up the Macy the next day at practice and told her exactly what her mother had said. She called her friend lazy, sloppy, and a weak link. That day cost her not only a friendship with Macy, but also with most of the girls on her team. At the time, she didn't understand why nobody would talk to her. Nobody wants to be friends with a bully.

Quinn wasn't proud of many of the things she'd done to make her mother proud.

So now here she was, a student at Yale, incredibly accomplished, and she was still yearning for her mother's approval. She knew that her mom always dreamed of how perfect her life would be. She would go to an Ivy league, have a stable career as a lawyer or doctor, and marry a handsome, rich, man. Not a woman. A teen pregnancy was also definitely not part of the plan.

She could never fit her mother's idea of a perfect daughter.

And that was what kept her awake that night.