Twenty Six

Quinn had never been to an open mic night before. In fact, she hadn't really gone out at all during her time at Yale. Before that night, she hadn't had any interest. Now, she was eager to spend time with her new friends and create new experiences.

Once their hair and makeup were done, she and Nora walked to the cafe together. It was small but charming. The lighting was dim, sourced mainly from bulbs strung around the perimeter of the room. There was a distinct smell of coffee and chai. Bookshelves filled to the brim with classic and modern novels lined the walls. It was Quinn's first time there, but it oddly felt like somewhere she'd been many times before.

The girls found River, Kimi, and a few others sitting together and joined them. River, who was sitting beside Quinn, was friendly as ever.

"I'm so glad you made it," they said.

"I'm so glad I was able to come," Quinn replied. "I can't wait to hear you perform."

"Yeah, I'm pumped about the set I put together. A bit nervous, though."

"Believe me, I know the feeling."

River replied with an inquisitive look.

"I did show choir in high school. I used to get so nervous before performances I thought I would vomit."

"No way. You sing? You should totally join me for a song tonight."

Quinn's heart hiccuped. "Oh, I haven't sung in a really long time. Probably not a good idea."

"C'mon," River nudged her in the ribs, "It'll be fun."

"Okay." Quinn barely processed the words coming out of her mouth. She was not the spontaneous type, but here she was, about to sing in front of a whole cafe.

River beamed. "Any song ideas?"

Quinn searched for inspiration. River happened to be wearing a Joni Mitchell t shirt.

"Can you play any Joni Mitchell songs?"

"Can I play any Joni Mitchell songs? I've had her whole discography memorized since I was 15." They were visibly excited.

"How about Both Sides Now?"

River did a half-smile as they took out their guitar and began putting it into open D tuning.

As Quinn mentally prepared herself for her first time performing in ages, she thought back to the first time she'd heard Both Sides Now.

It was junior year, the year after her whole life had been turned upside down. The glee club was was working on original songs, and Rachel, as usual, took the assignment very seriously. The girl had tried so hard to write something brilliant, but her attempts were hilariously bad. The whole time, she wouldn't shut up about how badly she wanted to be the next Joni Mitchell.

At the time, Quinn didn't know who Joni Mitchell was, but something about the way Rachel spoke about her sparked her interest. She found a CD of Clouds, fell in love with it instantly, and bought all of the other Joni CDs she could find.

"Which verses do you want?" River interrupted Quinn's train of thought.

"Huh?"

"I figure we can split up the verses and sing together on the chorus. I can do a harmony."

"Oh. I'll take the second verse."

"Good choice."

Quinn's phone began to buzz. Santana was texting her. She reached into her pocket to see what was going on, but at that moment, River informed her that it was time to take the stage. Quinn tossed her phone at a confused Nora and followed River.

River, charming as ever, introduced the song and began strumming their guitar. Their voice was warm and buttery, and Quinn could tell everyone in the audience was swooning at the sound.

Nora looked at the phone in her hands, caught off guard by Quinn's sudden surge of confidence. Apparently, she was finally going to hear her roommate sing.

Messages from the one-and-only Santana were popping up. She appeared to be ranting about some sort of math test. In the spur of the moment, Nora decided to press "call." She was sure Quinn's girlfriend wouldn't want to miss this.

The second verse of the song began.

Moons and Junes and ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairytale comes real
I've looked at love that way

But now it's just another show
You leave them laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away

Well, fuck. It had been a while since Quinn had listened to this song, and these lyrics instantly sent her back to a dark time in her life. She vividly remembered crying to this song in her room at night when her relationships weren't working out. All she had wanted at the time was to experience the moons, Junes, ferris wheels, and everything that people were supposed to feel when they were in love. But she never did.

For her, relationships always boiled down to status. She didn't love the boys she was with. She loved the way others saw her when she was with them. She didn't know anything about love.

Santana had changed everything.

As River played the final chord on their guitar, Quinn beamed out at the small audience, her new friends smiling right back at her. The applause was nice, appropriate, and definitely nothing like she'd gotten at nationals, but it filled her up with just as much joy.

She gave River a hug, then stepped down from the stage. Waiting for her at the bottom was Nora, arm stretched out with Quinn's phone in her hand.

"Your girlfriend says hi," she sang, raising her eyebrows suggestively. Quinn quickly grabbed the phone and ducked away into the restroom.

"Santana?"

There was no answer.

"Hello?"

"Holy shit, Quinn,"

There was the voice that never failed to give her butterflies.

"Holy shit. I cannot believe I almost forgot how amazing you are."

Quinn blushed profusely, grateful that Santana couldn't see. She would surely tease her.

"Seriously, I can't believe Schue didn't give you more solos in the glee club. Your voice just has this quality to it. It's rich and—"

"Thank you, babe. I would love to hear everything you have to say about my amazing talent, but my friend is still performing, so I have to go. I'll call you later tonight?"

"Don't miss me too much until then."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Quinn returned to the main room to watch the rest of River's performance, and for the duration of the night, she could not wipe the smile off her face.