Eighteen

"Okay, everyone." Finn stood at the front of the choir room, giving instructions to the glee kids, who seemed distracted by all the extra bodies in the room. "You may notice that we have some guests today. These are alumni who will be mentoring you, but before you meet them, let's show them what we've been working on. This is your time to impress them, so I'd better see some energy!"

The alumni buzzed with excitement. They took their seats on the risers in as the glee students, somewhat reluctant, stepped down to the floor to perform. Finn pressed play on a speaker, and jarring electronic music filled the room.

The glee kids began to sing in broken Korean. If you could even call it singing. A few attempted some sloppy dance moves. The alumni looked at each other, wondering if everyone else was seeing the same thing.

After way too long, Finn stopped the music and looked at his audience expectantly. "It's not perfect yet, but I think we really have something."

Complete silence. Santana was the first to find her voice. "Finn, can we talk to you for a second in private?"

Finn shrugged, and all the graduates shuffled into his office.

"You can't put them on stage at sectionals doing Gangnam Style. It's an embarrassment," Santana stated as everyone nodded in agreement.

"That's harsh. What these kids need is a high energy group number. And I wanted to pick a song that's hot right now so they would be excited about it," Finn argued.

"We'll, they're clearly not excited. Did you see how embarrassed they looked?" Santana started to raise her voice.

Finn got ready to make a rebuttal, but he was interrupted by Mike. "I have to agree. Also, the fact that this is one of the only solos Tina has gotten, and it's Gangnam Style, is just cold. She's not even Korean."

"Okay, okay, I get it." Finn was turning red from a mix of embarrassment and and anger. "But what else should I do? Sectionals is on Thursday."

"Well," Mercedes suggested, "You want a high energy group number with a song that's trending right now. How about Diamonds by Rihanna?"

That got everyone excited. "Yeah," Quinn said, "And you can feature all the girl power you've got in the club this year. Tina can keep her solo, but Brittany, Unique, Marley, and Kitty should have their chances to shine, too."

Finn paused for a moment in thought. "You know what? You guys are onto something. Let's go tell everyone there's been a change of plans."

Everyone burst out of the room, eager to save the students. "We have a new group number," Finn announced. "Diamonds by Rihanna."

The glee club members were clearly relieved. Many relaxed into their seats, thankful for the news. Marley, however, seemed to be even more on edge.

"We have two days to prepare. Is a brand new number really a good idea?"

"We once went to Nationals in New York without even writing our songs beforehand. You'll be fine," Santana remarked. There was a murmur of agreement.

"Yeah, and we lost," Quinn interjected. "Just because we made the mistake of being unprepared doesn't mean they have to. Finn could break Mr. Schue's cycle of putting kids on stage who learned their song two days ago."

Even she was surprised by the words coming out of her mouth. She didn't want to fight with Santana, but she was so nervous about breaching the brunette's trust with the songbook that harsh words were just spilling out of her mouth.