Vol.1. Chapter 7.2 : A Game of Dodgeball

Start from the beginning

"Now does anyone have any questions?" Multiple people raised their hands.

"Yes, Horikita?" Mashima-Sensei pointed at her.

"How many balls will we be playing with?" I was gonna ask that question too but it seems Horikita beat me to it.

"Since there are fourty of you currently present here, there will be eight dodgeballs, two for every ten individuals," Mashima-Sensei answered.

"Will the competition be a free for all or will we be divided into different teams?" It was surprisingly Ike out of all people who asked the reasonable question.

"I wanted there to be two matches, each separated by gender, but because of the limited time we have, you'll be put into two teams with ten boys and ten girls in each team."

"Sensei," I called out to him. "Are we allowed to have multiple dodge balls at the same time?" To be honest, hoarding a huge number of dodge balls didn't seem like a horrible strategy. At the very least, I have the quickness and grip strength to carry more than one.

"That's a good question. The answer is no. A single person is only allowed to hold one dodgeball at a time."

"I see..." I nodded as a response.

"Is there going to be any kind of prize for the winning team? Or will there be a penalty for the losing team?" Eichiiro inquired.

"The losing team will not be penalized, but if your team wins, you will be rewarded. A total of 2,000 private points will be awarded to each member of the winning squad. I will personally provide a bonus of 10,000 private points to the winning team's MVP." Mashima-Sensei went on to explain things further.

The atmosphere in the gymnasium changed dramatically after he announced the prize for the victors, as the boys appeared to be hungry animals determined to win at all costs.

"No one else seems to have any more queries. Okay, then. I'm going to start separating the teams." Mashima-Sensei made the statement.

We spent a few minutes getting to know the team we'd be fighting along with. The following were the list of the two groupings.

Group 1

Boys: Sudou Ken, Matsuo Eichiiro, Koenji Rokusuke, Miyake Akito, Yamauchi Haruki, Okitani Kyousuke, Ijuin Wataru, Yukimura Teruhiko, Minami Hakuo, and Makida Susumu.

Girls: Horikita Suzune, Onodera Kayano, Shinohara Satsuki, Mori Nene, Hasebe Haruka, Sakura Airi, Azuma Sana, Ishikura Kayoko, Maezono, and Wang Mei-Yu.

Group 2

Boys: Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, Hirata Yosuke, Ike Kanji, Hondou Ryotarou, Sotomura Hideo, Onizuka, Okiya Kyosuke, Kikuchi, Minami Setsuya, and Miyamoto Soshi.

Girls: Kushida Kikyou, Inogashira Kokoro, Karuizawa Kei, Matsuhita Chiaki, Satou Maya, Sonoda Chiyo, Nishimura Ryuko, Ishizaki, Rino, and Ichihashi Ruri.

"Oi oi oi! Is this sorting even fair?!" Ike voiced his complaint.

On this one, I had to agree with Ike in part. In comparison to us, the other squad has a lot more athletic and sporty pupils. I, too, had my doubts about the match's power balance. Is it possible that Mashima-Sensei sorted it incorrectly on purpose to put me to the test?

Perhaps I'm just overthinking things again. Sudou, Eichiiro, Koenji, Horikita, and Onodera, with their above-average physical ability, pose the greatest threat to the opposition squad. To secure a faultless triumph, I'll have to focus on them especially.