sixteen

16 — big win

"Oh my god!"
♡︎

Marlene is glad to find out that her friends are just as tired as she is

Marlene is glad to find out that her friends are just as tired as she is. With such a big day tomorrow, they all just want to sleep as much as they can. They eat and shower and change into pajamas, and even though they are tired they still joke around and giggle.

They snoop around Marlene's room, looking at all the pictures and posters that decorate the wall. Her messy wardrobe and overdue laundry, her scattered makeup and hair products, some shoes that look like they haven't been touched in a while. Her bed isn't made, and her nightstand has a cold cup of coffee that is using a book as a coaster - which nearly made Jane have a heart attack.

They shower and eat, and make up the places they will sleep. Marlene is the first to fall asleep, and it's quite a while before the other girls follow suit because they get their hands on three books that are packed full with pictures. Photos of a younger Ellie with a baby Marlene - who has blonde baby ringlets and a big toothless smile. The pictures make the girls swoon, unable to comprehend how adorable Marlene was as a child. They see her grow up in pictures - various teeth missing and different hair cuts and clothing styles.

They even see snippets of Charlie, even a picture of him with long hair that tufts at his shoulders. There's photos of mini Kiara and Beth from years ago, which start up peals of laughter.

There's pictures in California, and on planes and in cars; pictures of the hockey team from D5 all the way up to Eden Hall Warriors. There's a small Averman, who has definitely gotten a build to him - thank the lord.

The one kid that shocks the girls the most is Adam. He used to be short and secluded, with gelled hair and polo shirts. But in the recent pictures his hair is disheveled - looking much better than the slicked back styles he once swore by - and his clothes have relaxed and he's grown into himself. In the older pictures Adam was spaced away, a taught smile and tense shoulders. In the newer photos he is comfortable, leaning against Marlene with a goofy grin and not the least bit tense in any way. They can all see him mature and grow up to be more of himself in a handful of photos.

When they finally lay down they fall asleep immediately. Before they know it, it's morning and Ellie is nagging at them to get up.

"Girls, up, up, up!" When Kiara startles awake, Ellie gasps and presses a hand to her chest. "Oh my!" She combs her hand through Kiara's frizzed-up curls. "Kiara I told you to put that stuff in your hair that your momma talked about! Did you not?"

Kiara drowsily raises a hand up to her fluffy red waves. She smooths it down. "I guess I forgot," she mutters slowly. Ellie yanks the blankets off of all the girls with a heavy sigh.

"Go to the bathroom, sweetie. We'll deal with your hair. Mars, will you start up the coffee?" Marlene rolls out of bed, barely dodging Victoria, who is sprawled out on the floor. Ellie steps over Jane, kneeling next to Victoria. She pulls Vic to sit up, even though her body is weighed down with sleep.