eleven

11 — photos

"He just makes me feel weird."
♡︎

Music sucks - doesn't help anything

Music sucks - doesn't help anything. Not in the way people say it does, anyhow.

Marlene stands in her bathroom, the air still foggy and damp from the overly hot shower she took. Her hair is stuck to her back, dripping water down her skin. She has a towel wrapped around her body, and she stands tiredly as she flips through the CD that's in her radio.

People always say, music lightens the mood. Bull shit.

She gives up when the CD just restarts. She grabs a hair brush from the counter and starts to brush through her tangled wet hair. She stares at herself in the mirror, her makeup smudged even further from a poor job of trying to wash it off.

"Gee, don't I look great," Marlene says sarcastically. She takes the corner of her towel and wipes beneath her eyes. It helps some, but there's still mascara circles on her under eyes.

She drops her towel, cursing at the cold air that pricks her skin. "Shit," she mutters roughly.

The thought of her mother scolding her slips through her mind. Marlene brushes off irritably. She slips her shirt on quickly because at least now something is covering the majority of her bare skin.

She continues to get ready, bickering with herself and complaining about everything under the sun while Dolly Parton plays from the radio. Which, of course, only agitates her further, because the CD is her mother's and not hers - because she lended hers to Julie, who now doesn't speak to her.

For a teenager who is living someone's dream, she feels like she might as well just walk out onto the street without watching for cars just to see if her bad luck will continue.

Marlene knows her mother would throw a fit at her going outside with her hair wet, especially since it's starting to get cold outside. But Marlene slips on her jacket and grabs Adam's copies of the pictures and is out of her apartment without a single thought about what her mother thinks, or what Charlie would say.

She is only praying that Adam's mother is the one to open the door and not Phillip. He has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't want Marlene in his home, but Amelia - Adam's mom - loves Marlene to bits. Amelia will let Marlene in without a second thought, but Phillip would just tell her to go away with a harsh tone.  

"Mars! My 'Lanta, your hair is wet - What're you doing? Come in, come in!" Thank the heavens, it's Amelia. Her smile is sweet and her tone is warm, and Marlene loves the sound of her voice. The house is quiet - not like it's loud in the house usually - and it smells like lavender, but that may just be Amelia's perfume.

She takes Marlene's jacket and hangs it up and hugs Marlene with a long sigh. "Golly, I haven't seen you in forever. How've you been?" She holds up and hand and motions for Marlene to follow her.