fourteen

14 — scholarships

"And as for Finnigan, good luck talking to her - the girl won't say a word as of late. Look around, where's your defense now?"
♡︎

During the time that Bombay tried to get through to Marlene, Adam and Charlie had made their way to Adam's house

During the time that Bombay tried to get through to Marlene, Adam and Charlie had made their way to Adam's house. They went up to Adam's room, where Charlie flopped on the end of Adam's bed and Adam leaned against his headboard.

Adam's room is probably the most bland out of the three of them.

Marlene's walls are decorated with posters, and her shelves are lined with so many things you'd think she was a collector, but really she just doesn't bother to sort through the things she doesn't need.

Charlie has a lot of the things that he likes hung up around his room: hockey jerseys, band posters, polaroids of people, etcetera.

Adam's walls are gray, and he has a couple of framed photos on his desk and on his bedside table, and a few things here and there, but it's not as lively as some of the other Ducks'. He wanted it that way when he was younger, because that's the way all of his Hawk friends' rooms were, now he wishes he wouldn't have been so stuck up about it.

Anyway, Charlie's half asleep, he's exhausted from the day he had, but Adam's mind is circling. Even though his life is starting to get significantly better - now that the Ducks are talking to him again, and the Varsity team has stopped disrespecting him - something it still missing. He knows what it is, especially since it's the same for everyone around him.

Marlene thinks about them often; if she's doing the right thing by letting herself be alone for a bit. But sometimes a bit can stretch too long, and you've left everyone for ages and now they're all worried. Good thing is, Ellie is being weirdly supportive about all of this, and keeps reminding Marlene that no matter what happens she will be right there.

There's a comfortable silence between Charlie and Adam, and it's like this for a while. Then Charlie kicks his shoes off and grabs a blanket from the stack that Adam keeps under the bed. He makes himself comfortable right there on the end of the bed, practically already asleep. But as tired as Adam is, there's something he's been itching to talk to Charlie about.

"Hey, Charlie," Adam says quietly, tilting his head.

"Hmm?" Charlie responds, turning his head towards Adam slightly.

"Have you talked to Marlene lately?" Charlie swallows and shifts his shoulders.

"Not since the weekend of the dinner. But I don't think much of anybody has talked to her. Why?" Charlie voice is a sleepy mumble. It sounds like he could use a sip of water. Adam shrugs, but Charlie's eyes are closed so he only feels the bed move a little.

Charlie opens his eyes a little to see that Adam is just staring at the floor beside the bed. Charlie asks again, "Why, Adam?" Adam's eyes dart to Charlie, but he quickly drags a hand over his face and looks away.