father

The water had washed out the dryness of my throat, quenching the thirst I didn't realize was there. The sofa wasn't helping with my shaking figure as it was cold itself. My father tips back the glass from my mouth, placing it on the table before grabbing a clean towel to wipe my face with.

I had my eyes lowered down, looking at my bruised knees. Father tilts my head up with his index and thumb, moving it side to side, his eyes searching my face for any signs that could help him guess what had happened.

"Your mother got home early, I suppose?" His voice was cold, as usual. It was the opposite of my mother's, his voice is more firm, strict, like it's demanding respect.

Having no idea how he could've known, I nodded my head nonetheless. "I was...waiting for her."

"Where is she?"

"Upstairs. Doing her work."

"During her break?" I nodded again. He sighed through his nose. I watched as he applied medicine on my bruises, hissing at the burning feeling it caused when it touched an open cut. "What of this? Did you fall on the floor while you were playing?"

I'm reckless whenever I play around the house by myself, he knew that. He probably notices every new bruises when he checks up on me while I'm sleeping, because when I wake up the next day it's already patched up. Though, I never get any bruises anymore ever since I started hanging out with Viktor, as we only stay in one spot everyday.

"No...well, yeah I fell but it was because of something else." He didn't reply, urging me to continue. I described to him what happened earlier, how it was harder for me to breathe all of a sudden, how my chest hurt so much it felt like I was dying. I answered his questions about what I was thinking about before it occurred. 

"You were scared your mother forgot about you." He said it like it was a fact. Indeed, it was. It confuses me though, because I've long known how they prioritize their work more than me, what happened earlier was new to me. "Seems like you don't know how to respond to your emotions properly, especially when they run high."

It wasn't hard for me to understand what he meant. My emotions earlier were much more intense compared to the occasions when I would cry about the exact same reason. "Is there a correct way to respond to it?"

"Yes. We can work on that." He bounces his hand slightly on the air, his index finger out.

I felt the weight on my shoulder as my father drops his blazer on me, he made his way to the fireplace, lighting up a small fire. He walks back to the kitchen, bringing  the empty glass and the towel with him. "I'm assuming you haven't had your dinner yet?" He looked over his shoulder to see me nodding. 

Saying no more, he left the living room. A wave of exhaustion soon hit me, the numbness had died down and all I have left is a body that hurt with every move I took. I carefully laid down, using my father's blazer as a blanket for my upper body. My eyes were heavy, but I didn't feel like sleeping yet.

It didn't take long before my thoughts took off to think of an idea for an invention. A gadget that could detect a person's emotions from miles away, perhaps it could have a prepared manual that could help them calm down. That would be really helpful in the medical field, but just like the rest of my ideas, I have no idea how to make this possible.

I can only have ideas, but unfortunately, I can't build them. That's why I think highly of Viktor, he is both the mind and the builder. I'm not saying he can build anything, but I believe that if he puts his mind into it, then he could. 

The rest of the hour was spent with me thinking about my friend until my father called for me. I entered the kitchen, only remembering the existence of the bunny toy as it sits on the counter, abandoned.