Chapter Seventeen

The bronze and gray wall shut behind Cato Hadley. The boy from Two whipped his head around to face the barricade.

"Shit," Finnick mumbled as he placed his hand against the cold wall.

"The wall just closed," Peeta said as he stepped back. The stocky boy felt as if all the air in his lungs had vanished. "Th-The wall. I-It closed."

Katniss was quick to his side. Peeta's breathing turned at a much faster pace than it should've been. The Mockingjay held her husband's face close to hers. "Breathe Peeta."

Cato faced away from the District Twelve couple. His blue eyes looked in every possible direction for an exit. Spoiler alert, there was none.

"W-We can climb the w-wall right?" Peeta stuttered out. Katniss shook her head. Peeta curled up into a ball and let his tears fly free. A few feet away Finnick was hitting the wall with his trident. Cato looked down the passageway. As he narrowed his eyes more he noticed a turn at the end. The blond boy grabbed a torch off the wall and slowly walked down. When he reached the corner of the hallway more troches lit themselves. Cato's eyes grew in size.

"Fuck," he muttered to himself.

"Did you find something?" Finnick shouted.

Cato nodded and returned his attention to the puzzle before him. The blond man from District Four was at his side. Finnick's eyes scanned the same area Cato was looking at only he was confused. Cato, however, wasn't.

"What is it?" Finnick asked.

Cato looked at him briefly. "It's a maze."

...

"What the fuck just happened?" Clove asked the group of four teens. Finch was latched onto the shorter girl's side and shaking with fear. The girl from Two felt powerful as her crush was holding on to her.

"I don't know, but I don't like it," Glimmer said as she grabbed one of the pre-lit torches. "What is it?"

Finch didn't speak as she held onto Clove's side. The red-head hated being afraid, but she never thought she'd be trapped in an enclosed space for who knows how long. She breathed in Clove's pine tree scent.

"Trefoil," she mumbled. "It's a labyrinth."

Clove looked around the small section of the maze they were in. "You're right, Red."

Glimmer looked around as she noticed the pathway continued.

"Guys, let's go this way," the blonde pointed to the curve in the walls. Roman snatched the torch from her grasp. He held the light down the way they were going to walk.

"Follow me."

...

Wren stood close to Marvel as they walked down the maze's corridors. The boy from One swung the torch around to find their way through the Capital's twists and turns. Marvel's ears perked up at the sound of footsteps. They weren't his group's.

"Shh!" he snapped at his friends. "Do you guys hear that?"

Wren leaned forward and tried to listen to what her best friend had heard. The brunette was about to say that she didn't hear anything until she heard a yelp. A familiar voice echoed throughout the maze's walls. Marvel's eyes brightened with hope.

"Gilm!" he shouted. His voice bounced throughout the passageways. His blue eyes were happy when he heard a response.

"Marvel?" Glimmer's voice was filled with confusion. "Is that you?"