CHAPTER 10

Dealing with a mermaid-turned-human was like dealing with a baby deer. Soren struggled with walking so much so that her gait made her look like a decrepit old woman. While Niylah ransacked a nearby clothing line, Soren practiced her walk. She complained the entire time about how useless human legs were. She claimed she could swim the ocean forever without tiring, but standing alone exhausted her. Soren was literally a fish out of water.

"Here," Niylah said as she approached the mermaid. She held out a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. "We'll have to find you some shoes or something later."

Soren took the clothes and examined them. She turned her attention to Niylah's attire and tried to copy putting them on. Niylah realized she'd need help. She grabbed the shirt from Soren and held it so it was easier to put on. "Put your head through this big hole," she directed. Soren followed her instructions and soon the mermaid was dressed.

"It is difficult," Soren said. "No need for clothes in water."

"You'll get used to it. You'll get used to walking too."

From the look that crossed Soren's face, she was doubtful. Or, at the least, wary.

"I do not stay for long. Save fish, save my family, leave."

Niylah nodded as she listened to her list of their strategy.

"I think we're going to need a little more of a detailed plan than that. C'mon," Niylah waved Soren towards her. "We can go back to my Dad's and think of where to go from there."

Soren didn't make any protests as she followed Niylah's lead. Niylah guessed that it had to do with experience. Soren didn't seem to have much – or any – experience on land. Soren was putting her trust in her.

The girls made it back to the house. It took a lot longer than Niylah wanted but she knew she was working with an unsteady pair of legs and an unsure mermaid. At one point, Niylah thought she might have to pick up Soren and carry her. Her legs were cramping and she stumbled and tripped more times than Niylah could count. Just getting home seemed like a near-impossible feat. How the hell were they supposed to stop over-fishing?

"I'm not sure where to start," Niylah admitted as she led Soren inside. Niylah was glad that Tom wasn't home. He was probably out on the boat. She grimaced at the thought. That was exactly what they didn't want. She was hoping that having Soren here on land was making it safer for Tom to be out on the ocean. Hopefully, Soren's fish friends would leave him alone.

Soren was busy examining the house. She used the walls and pieces of furniture to hold herself steady as she explored her surroundings. The siren picked up a picture of her and Tom when Niylah was just a child. Tom was grinning as he crouched next to Niylah. Niylah's face was bright and beaming. Niylah remembered that day. It was one of the few summer breaks she had with him. They had decided to spend the day at the beach, discovering tide pools and building sandcastles.

"Is this you?" Soren asked. She brushed her fingertips over the portrait.

"Yes," she answered as she came to stand next to her. She had to look around her as Soren's shoulders blocked her view.

"You are baby." Niylah didn't think she was a baby. She was probably around seven or eight in the photo, but perhaps that's what Soren learned what to call young humans. Soren turned her attention from her to Tom. A low growl rumbled in her throat.

"What is it?" Niylah furrowed her brows.

"This man. He takes our fish." Niylah dropped the picture on the floor. The glass shattered and the siren leaped back from it. She was already turning her attention to something else as Niylah scrambled to pick up the pieces. She was careful not to cut herself as she collected the glass and threw it away.