Chapter 19 - Losing The Deal

Start from the beginning

* * * * * *

“Wow Mrs. Treyson, these foods look delicious.” Courtney said as she entered inside the dinning area with Cindy.

My mom blushed at her words, of course mom loves compliment when it comes to her cooking skills. “Oh thank you, dear.”

And that’s not a good sign.

I glared at Courtney, sending her a silent code to shut up. But she just ignored me and continued to smile at my mom.

This girl really knows how to win over someone, huh. And my mom literally took the bait.

We all took our seats and my mom immediately handed Courtney the mashed potatoes. “Chad made them.” She told her and then she gave me a wink.

What are you trying to do, mom? I was completely clueless!

“I did not make them.” I said in a firm tone.

“He helped with the stirring.” Mom immediately intervened. Oh right. She’s trying to make me sound interesting to Courtney, huh.

“Chaddy is a great cook.” Cindy said in a proud tone.

Oh god, seriously? Why so sudden my secrets were out of the bag? I’m not trying to win this girl over, so stop with whatever you’re doing.

“Now, now Cindy. No need to say those things. Just eat, okay.” I helped Cindy with her mash and gave her some pork and sprouts. She protested about the vegetables but after promising that I’ll watch spongebob with her, she finally agreed.

I looked up and saw Courtney, who was sitting across me, smiling at me. I furrowed my brows at her and she instantly looked away.

Okay, that was weird.

We started to say grace and begun digging our food.

Mom asked Courtney lots of questions. About school, her family, her friends. Which was very embarrassing!

Jeez mom, she’s not even my girlfriend so please stop with these non-sense questions.

But surprisingly Courtney was actually being nice. She was answering all of my mom’s questions with confidence. She told stories that I haven’t heard of before. Like how she and her friends met. They’re all best of friends and known each other since they’re young.

I was quick to judge her before and make fun of her so-called friends. I even call them her minions not knowing that what they had was true friendship all along. I could tell in her tone that she was proud to have friends like them.

I wondered for a moment there if she was telling the truth, but then something made me think that maybe she was just doing this because of our latest bet.

Wow, Courtney. Was this all because of these glasses?

But then something inside me was telling that this was not an act for winning my mom’s approval. Sure she was a good actress, but still. She shared her most personal story to us. Like her mom died when she was still a child and her father was always away. It was too personal but she was telling it anyway.

“So Courtney, how did you and Chad become friends?” Mom asked.

Actually, this must be the most interesting question of them all. I wondered how Courtney would answer this.

Courtney looked at me with sparks in her eyes. How’s it gonna be, Collins?

“Actually it’s a long and funny story.” She started.

Lies.

We both know that it’s not that long and it’s not even funny. But constant bickering is somehow funny, so yeah, it’s kind of the truth anyway.