Chapter 16 - Hinote of the Explosion Release

Cold, lifeless air flowed uncaringly amidst a sea of tension and hidden bloodlust. Within the confines of the outpost's observatory stood two. The sand-brown eyes peered jovially into the icy cold blue that glared back. The now revealed form of the young red-haired ANBU stood as still as a statue in the face of the Rock Jonin planted across from himself. His mind twitched in anticipation and with immense self-restraint as the corner of his eye kept drifting to the fallen body nearby.

A young woman; her chest plate shattered at her right shoulder, her mask valiantly fighting to stay on her face with it cracked and burnt, her arms singed and exposed, her body slumped against the debris of what was once a support beam for the outpost. In addition to her lack of movement, Naruto's concern and unease elevated to levels he couldn't temporarily ignore. However, he knew that if he didn't focus, he and Hitomi would die, with war a certainty.

This inner conflict seemed to amuse the man in front of him more than it enraged him, with his eyes once again holding the same murderous glee he acquired before blasting Hitomi away. It all culminated in a small chuckle and soon turned into an infectiously psychotic laugh. "This was certainly not what I was expecting from Konoha..." He muttered to himself in delirium.

He turned his head towards the young woman, feeling the concealed, venomous hatred smashing towards him as had done so only added to his amusement. "Children. Sent to kill veteran soldiers..." He spat with a sudden burst of disdain and hatred as he stared at the broken body of the girl that had tried to kill him.

"Adults..." He muttered in a murderously low tone. Though, as he said this, his gaze turned towards the blond. His glare was now deathly professional and cold as he focused on the hair, on the eyes.

"Tell me, boy. How and why are you here?" He inquired, "Why would the 'supposed' strongest hidden village in the Elemental nations send children to war during a time of peace?" Continuing in a much more deadly glare. However, what he got as a response was something he didn't expect. The boy's eyes spoke to him, screaming to him: the pain, the determination, the purpose he held within his heart.

"At the end of our battle, you will know. Whether victorious or defeated, you will know Hinote. I promise you at least that much." Naruto spoke in a dull, monotone voice as his mind was operating on an agonisingly slow clock, with his patience wearing thin. His hand carefully grasped the hilt of his katana, slowly unsheathing to reveal its bloody red blade.

Though all the while, Hinote stood slightly shocked. The professionalism. The honesty. The appearance. These things managed to spark a thought in his mind that he didn't want to believe but wished to be true.

But the sickeningly, tense silence was abruptly halted upon a burst of lightning chakra directly behind Hinote. Instinctively tilting his head to avoid the bullet of lightning, the clone of the red-head became known to Hinote. The clone was now constantly moving around the area, previously, directly behind Hinote moments prior.

Meanwhile, Naruto built up more and more chakra to the point of it becoming visible to Hinote when he finally had the reprieve he needed to charge towards the original. But he was too late.

Suddenly, through a lightning-fast, brief set of hand signs, the Uzumaki quietly muttered to himself.

"Lightning Style: Lightning Beam," as with this utterance, Naruto began shooting out the very same bullets of lightning that his clones had been harassing Hinote with before. Only this time, the aim of each bolt was more precise and powerful, each coming tantalisingly close to hitting their target.

This constant pressure and cause for concentration didn't go unnoticed by the experienced Jonin. He knew something was not right but didn't have the time to identify what until he had needed to jump to avoid one of the bolts.