Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

Giving him a small smile Kenzie let her tongue sweep over her bottom lip as she recovered from his deep kisses.

"Hunter I do trust you...this wasn't about me not trusting you and I need you to understand that."

Okay now I'm confused again.

Drawing his brows in, Hunter tilted his head in confusion. He wanted to understand, he needed to understand, but he just didn't.

"Then what was this about? Help me understand." He said as he studied her, running his thumb up and down against her cheek in a soothing motion.

Kenzie responded much better to Hunters calm even tone and seemed to find comfort in their close proximity as she spoke.

"Hunter, I trust you and I'd do anything you ask of me...but today you didn't ask."

Her words were frustrating, but Hunter focused on trying to understand her rather than trying to defend his own actions.

"You were in danger, Kenz. What was I supposed to do,"

"I know that, but the way you spoke to me...if you love me the way you say you do...you can't speak to me like I'm one of your men. I'm not a soldier Hunter."

Nodding at her words, Hunter understood her point, but was confused as hell on how he could have phrased that differently.

Her apartment had been compromised and she needed to move in order to stay safe. Not only that but we needed to leave right then. How could I have said that differently? She needed to move so I said "you're moving." What's the problem?

With his confusion and frustration building, Hunter sighed and dropped his shoulders in defeat.

"Teach me."  He said firmly.

"What?"

"Teach me how to communicate with you. I hate being controlled but I'm a damn good rule follower. But I don't understand. So teach me."

His admission of confusion and willingness to learn put a smile on Kenzie's face and earned him a soft kiss.

Finally. That must mean I've done something right.

"What should I have said to you today, Kenz?" He asked, genuinely trying to understand.

She thought about it for a second or two before she committed to an answer.

"You said You're moving. It was a command, an order. And not the fun kind." She said with a flirty grin.

So you admit there's a fun kind.

"Moving from my apartment is a major life choice. One that it seemed like you had already made for me." She continued.

I had, but go on.

"What should I have said instead?"

"You should have said - Kenzie, I think you should move."

Hunters brows drew in as what contemplated the difference in phrasing and why that mattered so much to her.

"I would have asked why, but if you had responded with because you're in danger....I would have said okay, tell me where to go."

There was a brief pause as Hunters analytical mind digested Kenzie's words. He analyzed them and made mental notes on the difference in phrasing and delivery.

"You have to give me the opportunity to trust you, Hunter. It's not something you can force and it's not something I'm particularly good at." She admitted.

Nodding at her words, Hunter assessed their strengths and weaknesses trying to come up with a plan of action that would prevent arguments and miscommunications in the future.

"This is going to be a balancing act. But I'm willing to try and be patient if you are."

Kenzie's big bright smile warmed Hunters heart and was enough of a response for him.

"Okay." She agreed.

"Can I have a mulligan for today?" He asked.

"Huh?"

Okay so my girls not familiar with the game of golf.  - Noted.

"In golf, if you hit a bad shot and don't want it to count against your score, you ask for a mulligan. Basically it's like the mistake never happened and you get to try again." Hunter explained.

Kenzie cocked her head to the side and grinned at him as she slowly began to understand what he was asking for.

"Like a do-over?"

"Exactly." Hunter confirmed. "But every player has to agree to the mulligan..."

With her smile growing even wider, Kenzie raised up onto her top toes, letting her arms rest on Hunters shoulders.

"You can have a mulligan." She said with laughter in her voice.

"Good." He said before kissing the tip of her nose.

Hunter bent down and scooped Kenzie into his arms, loving the way she squealed in surprise and held tight to his neck.

"What are you doing?" She laughed.

"Dec and the guys won't be here for 3-4 more hours which gives us plenty of time to forget about the mean orders I gave you today and focus on the fun kind..." Hunter quoted her words back to her as he stood and walked toward the master bedroom.

He studied her face, ready to play his offer off as a joke if she wasn't into it, but to his surprise and delight, Kenzie's eyes flashed with desire and she gave him a big flirty smile.

Setting her down on her feet facing the open bedroom door, Hunter wrapped his arms around her from behind with his mouth next to her ear.

"Willing to turn over control to me for a few hours?" I'll do all the work, but you're gonna have to trust me." His voice was deep and gritty as he spoke against her ear, planting a few kisses on her neck.

Tilting her chin to the side, Kenzie closed her eyes and gave his lips plenty of room to explore the soft skin of her neck.

"Yes please." She hummed.

The words of consent sent a shockwave through Hunters body and he kissed a trail from her collar bone up to her ear.

"Good girl." He whispered into her ear, watching goosebumps pepper her skin at his words.

*********
Working on the rest, but wanted their argument to resolve before the smut. Never a fan of I love you's being used as an excuse to not resolve a problem. ❤️